Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gcuncliff Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 09:04 AM
    Speeding ticket in NJ
    I was driving in NJ got pulled over, cop said I was going 56mph in a 40mph which is 16 over and a 4 point ticket. I went back to check the sign and the spot where he hit me with radar was a 45mph zone about 7 blocks later it changes to a 40mph zone the location where he pulled me over was in the 40mph zone but the location on the ticket says the spot where he hit me with radar which was a 45mph zone. The ticket says he got my speed with a radar device. Its my first time getting pulled over and I'm driving for over 7 years. I pleaded not guilty and I have a court date. What should I do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 09:17 AM

Take a picture of the sign and where he said he got you with the radar. If you can get it in one photo that would be best so you can show it is in relation to that sign.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 09:20 AM

Tough call, he may have first hit you in a 45 mph zone but he may have continued to keep his radar on when you entered the 40 zone. I'd try the picture approach but you are still guilty of speeding but maybe less points. If you are convincing the judge may though out the ticket completely since it appears defective.
    gcuncliff Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 10:21 AM
    He couldn't have kept his radar on me until I got to the 40mph zone cause it was about 5 blocks from where he was parked and he had to pull out to come get me and as far as I know you can't radar when you moving.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 10:24 AM

His chasing you he could go by his odometer but that is not admissible in court so I think you need to go and stick up for yourself and hope they only get you with the original point of his getting you with the radar.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 11:28 AM

Not sure of the mechanics of it but in Illinois the troopers can hit you with radar head on with both of you doing full speed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speeding Ticket [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Unfortunately this morning I was going on I-5 North in California and I was pulled over for going 100 mph. The highway patrol car was actually in the other lane and made a u-turn in the grass center divider and then pulled me over. I actually started slowing down before the cop car even...

Speeding ticket [ 12 Answers ]

In California, why can't vc 22350 (basic speed law) be used to contest a vc 22349(b)(maximum speed lmit) citation? Thanks for any help!! Richl

How to get out of a speeding ticket [ 1 Answers ]

If you've ever wondered how to get out of a speeding ticket. Just repeat what is below. After the police officer pulls you over for speeding, he should ask... Officer: May I see your license and registration? You: I don't have a license. I had it suspended when I got my 5th DUI.

Big fat Speeding Ticket in NC [ 10 Answers ]

I live in Davidson County in North Carolina... today I was going down the road, OK flying down the road and I got pulled by a state tropper. He wrote me a ticket for speeding 72 mph in a 50 mph zone. He said I have to appear in court for the ticket. I am 24 with no points on my license and no...

Speeding ticket [ 16 Answers ]

I was stopped for speeding in Bonners Ferry Idaho. My question is I asked to see my speed on the officers radar and he said "the only way you will come back to my car is in handcuffs so no I do not need to show you the actual speed" I then asked him again and he said that he does not have to show...

View more questions Search