Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kia Posts: 272, Reputation: 13

Jul 29, 2009, 08:21 AM
    What to use?
    Hello! My friend is starting a new company and needs a system to be implemented that performs certain tasks for the function of the company. Things such as : running monthly reports, showing employee work hours, client information sheets, signing in and out of the system , etc.

My question is, I assume this is a customer database right? Or would this be considered an operating system? If so which operating system should I install to meet all of these needs. If not an operating system; what kind of database can be installed?

I am a little confused here; but I just need to know where to start. Please help. Thanks!
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 05:37 PM

Hi,
    Well, you can build a database to do the job, and it would be adviseable if the requirements warrant it. To warrant it you would need to be talking about a lot of data that is of types not compatible with off-the-shelf products. I would doubt that you are in this situation.
    Everything you named in your question could be easily handled by a businees version of QuickBooks or a program like it. It still has to be set up for the actual circumstance involved, but you do not have to "re-invent the wheel."
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 31, 2009, 10:30 AM

Okay, I think I understand what you are saying. I researched a little bit & it seems that I will first need to buy server software for the company. Then possibly buy software to create an intranet. Does this sound correct?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:43 AM
    If you are unsure of the difference between an operating system and an application I would outsource this project to IT people.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:57 AM

A "customer database" (or a Customer Relations Management system aka CRM) is used to track and report on interactions with customers... not employees.

It sounds to me like you are looking for something to track and report on employees... is that correct?

And an operating system is a platform/interface used to work with the computer and execute programs. It's a little more bottom line that what you seem to be looking for (kind of like saying that you know you need to put oil in your car so you're wondering what kind of engine to buy).

What you are looking for is an application or program that you can use to manage the employees of this business (from what I can gather, at least).

I did a quick search and found this:

ManagerAssistant|Employee Performance Management Software, Employee Performance Appraisal, Employee Performance Evaluation, HRweb, HR Web

I'm not endorsing that program and no nothing about how good it may or may not be... but that might get you started in the right direction.

Or you can build an intranet, as Kia mentioned. It would be somewhat the same thing but customized... and has the potential for much more.

EDIT: Ok, just realized that Kia is also who originally ASKED the question lol

Jul 31, 2009, 11:53 AM

Ok thanks for the answers. So for what I am gathering is that I just need to bring in a server( designate one of the computers as a server with the correct software) because it is a new business; then download intranet software and customize it that way.

If that is so, does anyone have suggestions for the best software for creating an intranet? So far I have seen SHAREPOINT and Microsoft publisher; are thre others, or one you would recommend?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 07:39 PM

Hi,
    Methinks you try too hard! Any OS from NT4.0 forward should do it on its own. I really prefer Win 2K or newer. Pick which you want as a server and set up accounts on it. One thing is that if it is XP or Vista; do not fool yourself into thinking that a Home Edition will do it.
    How many machines are on your 'net? If you you have quite a few, I might suggest looking for a discounted Win 2003 Server because it will do a better job with groups. Small numbers can be handled separately, I say six or less though MS says ten or twelve. Just take good notes. With HDs so cheap, invest in a mirror drive and a separate RAID 1 card.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Aug 17, 2009, 09:45 AM

CRM systems, File servers and application and or database servers are all used to allow an organization access to all the information needed to do an given task. By using servers more than one person can access and or edit information, also centralized storage of critical data and applications make backup easier. The downside is that implementing and administering these systems require a professional and the centralization or information resources makes for a higher risk in the event of a threat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search