Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Loraine Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2003, 07:24 PM
    Breastfeeding and alcohol
    I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if I don't have to feed him for 9-10 hours later? Is it safe?
    dwalex Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Feb 18, 2003, 10:56 AM
    breastfeeding and alcohol
    I am so glad that you are asking about a single night and not an ongoing situation. The main concern with alcohol is Fetal Alcohol Syndrom which is the most common preventable cause of Mental Retardation. This of course happens due to exposure during pregnancy and is because there is some sharing of blood while the fetus is in utero. There is no sharing of blood due to breast feeding and all alcohol should be out of your body within 12 hours so this should be safe.

Best wishes,
    Dwalex
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Feb 19, 2003, 01:05 PM
    breastfeeding and alcohol
    My wife the La Leche Leaguer says that while some alcohol crosses over through the milk (and she recommends drinking AFTER nursing), in general, the baby is safe. She cautions not to drink excessively, but te alcohol should clear the system by the next morning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

Drug and alcohol recovery [ 2 Answers ]

My spouse is in a recovery program and he is doing well. This isn't his first attempt at this, however he is very determined. I'm afraid that when he gets home there might be a lot of stress and something I do or say may trigger him. I'm in recovery right now and it is so much easier for me than...

Beastfeeding and alcohol [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search