Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjackep05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 04:52 AM
    Noise/vibration in pipes
    Just moved into home that was vacant for some time. When I turn on cold water or flush toilet, I get a loud vibrating/humming noise in my basement - not near boiler or anything. If I turn water back on briefly, it stops. Help?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 29, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Noise from vibration's mechanical. Something's moving against something else. It could be a washer that's broken vibrating against the seat as the water rushes by or a small pebble that got caught in a valve.
    Try this; Start the noise and go down in the basement. Follow the noise to where it's the loudest. Now take your hands and see where the vibration's the strongest. Let me know what you find. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vibration noise in roof! [ 1 Answers ]

Our home is made of double brick and has a tin roof. It is 3 yrs old. Mostly in winter during very windy conditions we get this awful loud sound that can keep you awake half the night! It is a really loud vibrating noise. We have had the company who built the house here last year, they said it...

Water vibration in pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a condo and the only water pressure is by gravity. A water pressure pump has been installed on the top floor to increase pressure and we now have a vibration through out the building when he turns his taps on. This is a new condo constructed entirely of concrete block and it thought...

Vibration in pipes after toilet flush [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet is 6 months old After I flush my toilet,about 3 or 4 seconds later it sounds like a vibration noise in my pipes in the basement This has done this for a long time

Knocking and vibration sounds from pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I can hear really loud constant knocking noises and vibration sounds thought it was pipes but it always sounds worse on a night when the heating is not on but it also sounds like it is coming from chimney anyone any ideas

Noise and vibration after flushing the toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Sometimes when we flush the toilet we hear a loud noise and vibration in a few of the pipes. What is this and how can we fix it?

View more questions Search