Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluehazel23 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 12:49 AM
    What is a word used for describing the worse of two evils?
    What is a word that we use to describe the worse of two things. (Like the worse of two evils)

I thought it was the word "latter" but that just means [the second of two things being described].

Anyone have a clue?
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Jul 29, 2009, 12:56 AM

The term is usually described as
    "less of two evils"
    Worse of two evils is new to me
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 01:00 AM

The epitome of evilness ?
    bluehazel23 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 01:10 AM

:( Ehh, no I was looking for a word that describes something that is worse than something else..

My sentence would be used like this (obviously I'm blanking out the word that I need): "there are good qualities about both; the ((BLANK, NEEDED WORD)) is that it is ugly, old, and mean."
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 29, 2009, 01:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehazel23 View Post
    What is a word that we use to describe the worse of two things. (Like the worse of two evils)

I thought it was the word "latter" but that just means [the second of two things being described].

Anyone have a clue?
    I would say use a different term, like superior and inferior. Inferior being a lesser of the two, not as good as, or a poorer quality. In a case like this inferior could work.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Jul 29, 2009, 01:27 AM

Restructure the sentence.
    There are good and bad qualities about both;the latter bieng ugly,old and nean.
    RGwriter Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Or you could say "the worst being that it is ugly, old and mean."

Zippit's idea of restructuring the sentence is a great idea also.
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Jul 29, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Exacerbate... it means to make a bad situation worse.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 06:06 PM

Tough to say in the context of your sentence.

You want to say:

There are good qualities about both; the _____ is that it is ugly, old, and mean.

You are implying that both qualities are good. So the word you would want would one to describe the one that is not as good as the other. "Less good" is kind of a different side of the spectrum that "more worse" (I know... "more worse" is not correct.. but I was trying to make a point :D )

On the other hand, "ugly, old, and mean" doesn't seem to imply a "good quality".

So if "ugly, old, and mean" is considered to be a good quality in this case, then it would seem that the worse, the better (like when picking out a witch costume or something). In which case, you would need a word for "more worse" rather than "less good".

Am I reading into this too much? Lol
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 03:16 AM
    If you need a word to describe something as worse then something else, then Artlady's suggestion is pretty good!

I found a definition of bad though that gives different ways of saying that something is bad; and the latter is worse then the former.

1. Not achieving an adequate standard; poor: a bad concert.
    2. Evil; sinful.
    3. Vulgar or obscene: bad language.
    4. Informal Disobedient or naughty: bad children.
    5. Disagreeable, unpleasant, or disturbing: a bad piece of news.
    6. Unfavorable: bad reviews for the play.
    7. Not fresh; rotten or spoiled: bad meat.
    8. Injurious in effect; detrimental: bad habits.
    9. Not working properly; defective: a bad telephone connection.
    10. Full of or exhibiting faults or errors: bad grammar.
    11. Having no validity; void: passed bad checks.
    12. Being so far behind in repayment as to be considered a loss: bad loans.
    13. Severe; intense: a bad cold.

Hope this was of some help!
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 06:38 AM

artlady agrees: Having no validity; that sound very good in this context,if I understand it correctly.
    Yeah I think so to. LOl if I too understand the question in the OP correctly...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by epawls View Post
    Exacerbate...it means to make a bad situation worse.

Exacerbate is a verb - I don't see how it fits in the sentence "there are good qualities about both; the ((BLANK, NEEDED WORD)) is that it is ugly, old, and mean."

I also don't see this sentence being about the worse of two evils. It would appear to be more about good qualities offset by bad qualities.

I see it meaning something along the lines of "His good qualities are offset by his mean personality."

At best the sentence is awkward and appears to be poorly phrased. Is this a school assignment? Are you locked into this wording?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What film am I describing? [ 4 Answers ]

It was in the late 80's or early 90's. An American film. A man sees an alien light flash in the sky. This soon starts to affect him. The sun seems to speed up his mind and his body. He has to wear dark glasses to protect his eyes from the sun, because when he does incredible things it damages...

Evils of Credit Cards [ 42 Answers ]

New topic: Credit Cards Credit Cards are the bane of human existence. Credit Cards allow the user to have what he wants rather than what he needs. Credit Cards are a mortgage on ones future. Credit Cards make credit card companies huge profits. I have a client who is on ODSP. ODSP...

What is the name of the outdoor toy I am describing? [ 2 Answers ]

As a kid, me & my brother had a toy we played with outdoors. We would stand a distance from each other & hold two handles each. There was a rugby shaped ball at the centre & it would fly between us on two ropes. If it flew towards you & you weren't quick enough, it would bang on the handles & hurt...

Describing Your Age [ 4 Answers ]

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than ten years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions. "How old are you?" "I'm four and a half." You're never 36 and a half... You're four and a half going on 5. ...

View more questions Search