Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plaidoe Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2003, 05:13 PM
    ! Someone else take over for a while !
    My son is 2 1/2 (about 32 months). We have been trying to potty train since his 2nd birthday. We have had absolutely no luck. He seems to be ready all the way around: he can follow directions, communicate with us, knows all about the potty and peeing, etc.. After trining for about 2 months, we bought pull ups hoping that the "big boy" pants would be an incentive. This was also to no avail.

At first we tried treats, snacks, small gifts, etc. To entice him (if he goes then he gets the item of his choice). But he wouldn't go then would find the item when we were not looking... of course we had to take it from him which just caused more frustration. Then we tried pushing him to do it and being stern. This caused arguments.. and arguments with a two year old are unnecessary and get no where.

So now what do we do? I know that he is a boy and "boys take longer" and that "all kids are different", but he seems ready, just stubborn. He flat out refuses! I have a 6 yr. Old that potty trained at 2 years old, and a 2 month old who is now and extra diaper to change.

Also, when we go anywhere it is such a pain as he is too big for the diaper changing tables and you have to almost completely undress him to change him (shoes, pants)then re-dress him. I am at my wits end. I understand if he was younger, but he is becoming old enough now that he has even changed his own wet diaper before.

I also have a sister in law who is having the same problem with her 3 yr old daughter. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
    We have tried EVERYTHNG!

Thank you in advance!
    terri976 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2003, 08:08 PM

Potty training is not always easy. While I'm not an expert on the subject. I have 5 children of my own. Ages 12, 11, 9, 8, and 7. So, I can well understand the frustration of diapering a duo. In my case it was my oldest daughter who point blank refused to use the potty chair. After begging, bribing, yelling and pulling my hair didn't help I was ready to give up. What we ended up doing though was simply this. We would watch for the "signs" the she had to go. Yeah know?lol, the peepee dance or the funny walking or red face. Then ask her if she had to go potty. She of course would always say NO! NO POTTY! I would tell her well, it doesn't hurt to try and put her on the potty. And I would stay in there with her and we'd sing or just talk. A lot of times turning on the water in the sink or the tub also would help her go. The reason for doing this was simply this. When you have to go to the bathroom and you hear running water you need to go right away, right? Well, surprisingly it worked for her. Also, maybe skipping the training toilet and going right to the regular toilet might help. My kids felt like big kids when they got to use the big people potty. But keep in mind, all kids train at different ages. It really does help when they are " ready " in their own mind. Potty training is a new thing for them and it may scare them a little. One of my kids trained at 18 months old... He would not let me put a diaper on him and when I would set him on the toilet he would go.. I was told I was very lucky with him. My youngest however was almost 4 before he was completely potty trained. He would refuse to poo in the toilet. For some reason that scared him. After a lot of messes and frustration we ( and this sounds completely insane ;D ? ) He didn't mind as long as he could wave bye bye to it as it went down the toilet. But, lol, it worked for us.
    I wish you luck and much patience...
    MrsAdams Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2003, 11:25 PM
    Ooooooo I just had a laugh @ the bye bye thing with the poo LOL... Too funny Anyhooo... Back on track... I have a 6 year old daughter, a 3 year old son and a 11 month old daughter... My son Ashton still has accidents every now and than... But most of the time he does pretty well... His sister Jasmine has helped a lot because sometimes I couldn't get him to go to the bathroom but she could... And I will tell you... Boys are a lot harder than girls! My best friend and her son Marque who is 2 & 1/2 is having all kinds of trouble... He won't poop in the toilet either... He has to have his dipey on... But he'll pee just fine... I don't get it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search