Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissRissa Posts: 68, Reputation: 15

Jul 28, 2009, 08:44 PM
    Dog doing some kind of backwards sneeze
    Okay, I have two beagles that are 9 yrs old. One is female, one is male. They both do this inverted sneeze/cough thing. It's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. It's like they involuntarily inhale sneezes and they can keep doing it for maybe up to a minute. They've both been doing it for a while now; ever since they were pups. But it's been occurring more often now that they are older. I've noticed that they do it a lot when I take them for walks and they pull on the leash too hard and it chokes them. They also seem to do it when they are begging for food. Can anybody tell me what it is and if something is wrong with them? Thank you!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 08:50 PM

My dogs have done that too
    I think it is one of two things or both
    They are allergic to something
    They get themselves OVERLY excited.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:00 PM
    One of my dogs does that when he is really excited, it freaks me out.:eek: He is 5.
    But then he stops and everything is back to normal.:)

Jul 28, 2009, 09:01 PM

Thanks NOhelp4U!

Jul 28, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Okay, so it sounds like it's normal. Phew! :) Thanks Just Dahlia
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 01:58 AM

Mine do it when they get too excited.
    Just be careful though as it can scare them and make them panic which only makes the problem worse.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 04:15 PM

How long do these things last?
    It can be caused by a lot of things - it's always best to just get a quick checkup at the vet to make sure it's not something serious.
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Jul 29, 2009, 05:43 PM
    It is called a reverse sneeze. Typically it plagues the short snouted breeds, like pugs, bull dogs, boston terriers... I believe it has something to do with the soft palate in the back of their throat. It occurs after eating or when they are overly active. While it is probably uncomfortable for the dog, it has no known negative effects. To alleviate this, rub their throat and or back. Another method is to cover their nose to force them to breath from their mouth.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:44 PM

My two labs get it as well.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 06:18 PM

My neighbors' beagles used to do that when we would take them for walks too. They only did it at the beginning of the walks so we figured it was when they got excited.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 29, 2009, 09:23 PM

Believe it or not I have a cat that does that as well. My daughters doxy does it as well when she gets overly excited or just sniffs something like dirt. My cat will be running then all of the sudden stop and start reverse sneezing and she bounces backwards when she does it then looks at me like it was my fault.

Jul 29, 2009, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariss View Post
    How long do these things last?
    It can be caused by a lot of things - it's always best to just get a quick checkup at the vet to make sure it's not something serious.
    They can last anywhere from a couple of seconds to up to a minute.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 09:10 AM

One of my dogs has the same thing - it's called inverse breathing. It's also a term used when people have asthma.

I have never heard the term reverse breathing but maybe it's the same thing.

My dog will actually begin to stagger from insufficient oxygen - I have to grab her, reassure her, stroke her throat to get her to begin breathing "normally" again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How could fecse come out my nose when I sneeze? [ 2 Answers ]

Sounds carzy but today when I sneezed 3 times into my hands there was fecse in my hand after I sneezed. How is this possible?

Internal Sneeze Treatment? [ 1 Answers ]

The vet says our chihuahua has interal sneezes. He sounds like a goose when he does this, his throat enlarges and he sounds like he has problems breathing. It seems to be increasing in frequency. Is there anything to worry about and is there any medicine or steps I can do to help decrease these...

Why do I sneeze when I look at the sun? [ 7 Answers ]

Every time I look at the sun or it shines on my face I sneeze... why? :)

Miniature Dachshund's cough/sneeze? [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 month old miniature dachshund has this awful cough/sneezing sound he makes. He will just be lying down somewhere or playing and all of the sudden he'll start what sounds like hacking, then at the end of it come what seems to be a sneeze. He's been to the Vet and tried 2 different medicines but...

Backwards Hot and Cold [ 6 Answers ]

I just replaced my Moen single handle cartridge and all was well until I turned on the water and the hot and cold are backwards... I turn to hot and it's cold.. I turn to cold and it's hot... how can I fix this?? :cool: Thanks, Christine P.S. It is for my bathtub

View more questions Search