Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdubois Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 04:55 PM
    .dat files - how to open
    I received an e-mail with .dat files. They are photos. I cannot open.

Suggestions?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 05:07 PM

Would tend to think that you have an antivirus program that is changing the name of the file when received, what antivirus are you using if any.

What format are the pics supposed to be in

What email service do you use?
    gdubois Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Thanks for your response.

My anti-virus is Sympatico. I just changed my e-mail service from Sympatico to Xplornet. I received this e-mail about a month ago and have not been able to open the photos.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 05:58 PM

Do you use the website to recevie mail or use outlook or something else to receive?

Does the file have the name winmail.dat?

In your email settings, make sure that your email is saved or viewed as HTML if possible or txt

If they are saved as winmail.dat, you can download a program that will work for 1 month and then have to purchase
    Steve and Heather's Biblet Pages - for winmail.dat decoding

Here some info, don't know if it will apply to you
    E-mail attachments are not visible to some recipients

But check settings first to see if mail is set to html or txt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't open .tmp files! [ 4 Answers ]

I saved a very important school project on my flash drive, but when I went to open it later, it said that it was saved as a .tmp file and I couldn't open it. Any suggestions?:confused: Thanks :]

Can't open files [ 1 Answers ]

Hey... while ago I had a problem with my computer so I installed windows again, then my computer used to work normal like a new computer.. but then again I had this problem that none of the mouse, drivers and etc worked so I installed windows again now everything works excpet I can't open any...

WMP tries to open .pdf files! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, my problem as you can see is that Windows Media Player keeps trying to open pdf files:confused: . I've checked all programme defaults and tried re-installing both WMP and Adobe but same thing keeps happening. It's getting me down so someone put me out of my misery... PLEASE! :(

Open .that files with [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I can't open a .dat file, where could I get a free download programe? Thanks for help.

View more questions Search