Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tempot Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 04:54 PM
    What is concrete in a concrete home.
    Hi, I am very interested in building a concrete home the next time I'm in the market to buy. But I was wondering for a 2 story home, what exactly is made of concrete. Is it only the exterior walls that are concrete? I can't get over seeing homes in third world countries being made of stone, and here in North America we have stick homes. My wife is from Australia and she was shocked to seeing homes being made of sticks and paper. She is amazed that homes that cost in the millions are still stick and paper just like the cheaper homes. Apparently in Australia, only the cheap houses are stick houses.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 05:37 PM

Stick homes ? More like brick and mortar. Of course, wood included for the interior set up, but don't think you can call them stick homes.

Concrete home ? And how would you accomplish an entire home made of concrete ?

Please elucidate.

Tick
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 05:40 PM

The main reason Homes in the states are built with wood and paper so you can Insulate the homes to many different climates.

Also the weight of a home built out of concrete would need such a large footer system so it wouldn't sink/ crack due to freezing and thawing softening the ground.

The cost for wood homes being what they are is also a trade off. To build a concrete roof is steel rods with Crete. A wood roof is truss/insulation/ plywood sheeting/ tar paper/ shingles/ vinyl soffits/ fascia/ ridge vents/ gutters? Etc. Add all that and its as much or not more in labor to build.

A lot of the cost difference is not actually the home itself. Its Location, location, location. The actual property value of the land first.

Australia is so big and so uninhabited in many areas, very Open as we say it here. We have mountain land/homes that are cheap because its in the middle of nowhere.

I'm sure the values of homes there greatly differ also.

Ive built all wood homes in the states and all concrete homes in the crib. In the Caribbean they use the exact words to describe homes in the states.
    Stick homes. In other countries and the crib a stick home was considered a poor person home. When its all in block and concrete then it's a 'good' home. So this is from more of a status observation/connotation and explains the "Why are stick ( poor mans homes ) so expensive
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 06:01 PM

The make homes of just concrete all the time, in fact you can buy the walls preformed and hauled to site and set in place.
    The pipes for wiring, and plumbing are poured when they are made.

The ones I have toured use plastor on the inside or a fake rock look.
    I have seen some that come back with steel studs and do inside walls
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 07:18 PM

The make homes of just concrete all the time
    Just to keep it clear Its not all the time in most of the U.S. Two key ingredients needs to be there for the structure to be cost effective.

The Geo location and the soil density to support the concrete which weighs 4,000 lb per cubic yard. So depending on where you plan to live or build Don't be surprised if they are all wood structures. Commercially it's a different story and so is the Cost of the footer systems

The "Brick" homes are wood and a brick veneer which is Not structural at all. Only the very old houses built in the early 1900s and before were solid brick.

Jul 28, 2009, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Stick homes ? More like brick and mortar. Of course, wood included for the interior set up, but dont think you can call them stick homes.

Concrete home ? And how would you accomplish an entire home made of concrete ?

Please elucidate.

tick
    Well, I'm not sure what you mean by brick and mortar, but houses in North America are for the most part stick and paper. I've seen only 2 new homes being put up around my neighborhood with concrete. The 2 that I had a chance to see, already had the external walls up so I couldn't tell if the internal walls were also concrete. I also remember an episode of Holmes on Homes where Mike built a whole entire home of concrete rather than repair the shoddy work he came to fix. The owners kept saying how incredibly solid and quiet it felt. And they commented on how they could immediately feel and hear the difference from a stick framed home upon walking in the home. Mike himself has said we need to move away from wood framed homes. He now builds homes instead of repairing them. I've been doing a lot of reading on concrete homes but haven't really come across any info on what exactly is concrete in these concrete homes.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 02:01 PM

I've been doing a lot of reading on concrete homes but haven't really come across any info on what exactly is concrete in these concrete homes.
    Not sure what specifics you need answered. Concrete is concrete. There are different Psi strengths/ Stone
    Can you be more specific
    Edub373 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 02:09 PM

I'm not an expert on building home but I think a home made of strickly concrete and filled with furniture and everything else you can think of that is in a home... Like 21boat said the weight would be crazy.. I don't think it would be possible without building every wall floor and ceiling with rebar.. I think that for just a small average size home would cost damn near a million... I don't know maybe Im wrong.
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 02:16 PM

tempot, I live in Ontario, I don't know what you mean by stick homes. Homes I see being built in our neighbourhood are of made of brick, the frames only are wood (what else would it be?). Homes built in this area have been made the same way for 200 years and are still standing after 200 years. So I really don't know what you mean.

They make office buildings out of concrete, some people in northern ontario make homes out of bales of straw and feel it is the environmental way to go. They are 'green' homes, finished in plaster on the inside Log homes are quite popular in Ontario, and very expensive to construct.

So your statement is haphazard to say the least.

I don't feel concrete is the environmental way to build.

Why don't you know what 'brick and mortar means ? It is the standard way for building. Bricks you know, you lay them one on top of the other and fuse together with mortar. Where have you been for the last 500 years ?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/constr...ick-and-mortar
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 29, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Tempot,
    I live in the Tampa Bay Area where most of our hones are on slabs with concrete block construction on the outer walls. On the older homes the interior studs are wood but the newer units are metal studs. My companion owns a concrete block home with poured cement walls with rebar but her home was built 55 years ago. So just for the rest of us, now might be a very good time to give us your conception of a "concrete home" Regards, Tom
    Regards, Tom
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 09:17 PM

Tom Great picture!! Don't you just love an extra place to hang a tool.

Jul 29, 2009, 09:32 PM
    tempot, I live in Ontario, I dont know what you mean by stick homes. Homes I see being built in our neighbourhood are of made of brick, the frames only are wood (what else would it be?). Homes built in this area have been made the same way for 200 years and are still standing after 200 years. So I really dont know what you mean.

They make office buildings out of concrete, some people in northern ontario make homes out of bales of straw and feel it is the environmental way to go. They are 'green' homes, finished in plaster on the inside Log homes are quite popular in Ontario, and very expensive to construct.

So your statement is haphazard to say the least.

I dont feel concrete is the the environmental way to build.

Why dont you know what 'brick and mortar means ? It is the standard way for building. Bricks you know, you lay them one on top of the other and fuse together with mortar. Where have you been for the last 500 years ?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/constr...ick-and-mortar
    Well I have yet to see a brick house being put up in Canada. All I see is wood framed homes with a siding of vinyl, stucco, or some type of brick or stone looking finish. But this is not what I consider a brick house. The siding does not hold up the house. The structure that bears all the weight of the house is the wood frame.

Anyway, I found my answer. Apparently the whole house is made of concrete. The floors, walls and all. Now that's what I call solid. But you do have a choice as well. I took a walk up to one of the concrete homes I was referring too in my last post, and all I can say is AMAZING!! You hit any side of the house with the palm of your hand and if feels like your hitting an office building. The siding on a concrete home can be anything you want. But the big difference is that it has concrete behind it, and that makes it SOLID. The owner said they paid roughly 7% more for his concrete home compared to the quote he got on a stick home of equal size. But his heating bill is half of what he was paying for in his 5yr old stick home. His insurance premiums are also lower. At just over 3000 sq-ft, his concrete home is 500 sq-ft bigger than his previous stick home. As we talked more, I find out he's getting a lot of questions about his new home from a lot of curious people in the neighborhood. He was kind enough to let me, my wife and son into his home. He actually seemed kind of happy to show it off. After my first few steps in the house I knew I was in a whole new kind of home. My 10 yr old son actually made a comment on how he couldn't hear the outside at all. Room to room you could just truly feel and hear the difference. I'm sold. My next home will definitely be concrete. Contrary to what you may believe, concrete homes are a greener way to build, more so than a stick home. I'm finding there is more than one way to build a concrete home.

If your interested read more here:

Concrete Homes | Portland Cement Association

ICF Homes - Insulating Concrete Forms
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Tempot,
    Thanks for the update. I'm curious, are we talking about homes with cement block walls or a home with poured and rebar walls. If we're talking about cement block construction then most of the homes in my area, including my own, are ":cement homes". Regards, tom
    Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Tempot,
    Thanks for the update. I'm curious, are we talking about homes with cement block walls or a home with poured and rebar walls. If we're talking about cement block construction then most of the homes in my area, including my own, are ":cement homes". Regards, tom

Hi, tom, do you mean cement blocks which are 'faced' ?

Tick

Quote Originally Posted by tempot View Post
    . The structure that bears all the weight of the house is the wood frame.
    [/url]
    How can the houses be built with the wood structure the only support, tempot. The frame of the house, which is in wood, is to support the drywall and other materials on the inside. The outside of the house is finished in various type of bricks depending on the owner preference, or the builder's preference. If these houses were not built to code, tempot, they would not be built. Do you really think someone is going to purchase a house that is only supported by wood?

You are confusing me because I can't see really what you mean, that the houses are only supported by wood when all houses around me in construction are built of brick.

So, let me get this straight, you perceive a wood frame house, with the siding attached to the wood frame, or whatever facing you are thinking of, and nothing else protecting the occupants from the north american elements, snow rain, sleet, hurricanes. How would one get a mortgage on such a house ?

What planet are you from anyway ?

Tick

Jul 31, 2009, 10:22 AM

So, let me get this straight, you perceive a wood frame house, with the siding attached to the wood frame, or whatever facing you are thinking of, and nothing else protecting the occupants from the north american elements, snow rain, sleet, hurricanes. How would one get a mortgage on such a house ?

What planet are you from anyway ?

tick
    I posted the links for a reason. Read them and you will understand. No need to get upset.
    Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tempot View Post
    I posted the links for a reason. Read them and you will understand. No need to get upset.
    Hey, tempot, don't get be wrong, not upset. I see nothing wrong with concrete homes, have watched a couple being built north of Toronto, but you failed to answer my question. Do you think frame homes are just that, wood frames with anything else stuck onto them ? Because that is what I think you mean, which is incorrect.

Tick

Jul 31, 2009, 12:13 PM
    hey, tempot, dont get be wrong, not upset. I see nothing wrong with concrete homes, have watched a couple being built north of Toronto, but you failed to answer my question. Do you think frame homes are just that, wood frames with anything else stuck onto them ? Because that is what I think you mean, which is incorrect.

tick
    I look at these multi million dollar homes and they have stucco and some kind of stone looking siding, but you go up to them and tap the finish, and it feels and sounds hollow or cheap. When you look at these stone or faux stone finishes they give the perception of a stone home. But it isn't. It's just a finish on top of wood.
    Let me put it this way, when you put on your winter gear to protect you from the wind, snow, and cold, you don't expect that same gear to stop a car from doing damage to your body if you were to get hit by a car. Well the same goes for a wooden framed home that has siding to protect it from the elements. The siding has very little if any in the structural function in the house being held up. Here's the proof. If the siding comes off, does the house fall down. Of course not. That's why the siding is put up after the house is already framed. Forget about physical impact, but how about fire? This is why insurance premiums are lower for these types of homes. They are stronger and can withstand the elements to an extremely higher degree compared to a wood framed home. I am willing to bet you will see more builders moving away from these wood framed homes to the much superior alternative. Mike Holmes' homes have upped the game in green community living. You've got homes that have a mould, fire, and moisture resistant concrete structure. There really is no comparison.

Not sure if you know he builds houses now.

Make It Right? | Holmes Homes
    Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 12:19 PM

I don't care about Holmes on Homes, I live in a brick house, situated quite close to Lake Ontario. We have severe winters. I am warm inside my BRICK HOME and my gas bill is pretty low so its pretty well insulated, tempot.

You don't think there is anything between the wood frame and the siding, right ?

I am done with this post because you don't make any sense to me, tempot. This is really silly.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 05:54 PM

I am willing to bet you will see more builders moving away from these wood framed homes to the much superior alternative

Tempot, many people on the site are well informed on house building. Myself, A builder for over 30 years and an expert in concrete and also a mason. Better look into the cost on a concrete home to build let alone the cost to heat in a cold Geo.

One thing the home owners need to remember is these "SHOWS" like Holmes/Bob Vilia etc have NO real budget. If the do look at the home owners and see how Rich they are. Most of the shows are NOT realistic in any sense other then for us to dream that we can build with an unlimited budget.

I'm feeling the same way as Tickle. Tempot What is it you want?

Jul 31, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post

Tempot, many people on the site are well informed on house building. My self, A builder for over 30 years and an expert in concrete and also a mason. Better look into the cost on a concrete home to build let alone the cost to heat in a cold Geo.

One thing the home owners need to remember is these "SHOWS" like Holmes/Bob Vilia etc have NO real budget. If the do look at the home owners and see how Rich they are. Most of the shows are NOT realistic in any sense other then for us to dream that we can build with an unlimited budget.

I'm feeling the same way as Tickle. Tempot What is it you want?
    Well first off I don't WANT anything. My original post had a question. Tickle got offended for some reason. I have no idea why. I found my answer. Then I just decided to share my experience I had with the new concrete home owner in my neighborhood. Nothing sinister, just a sharing session. Which is also a very Real Life example, not some episode on a show. I'm still confused why tickle doesn't see the difference with these concrete homes and these wooden framed homes with vinyl, stucco, or the faux stone siding. I hope she's the only one confused considering many of you are home builders as you say. I also wanted to clear up the misconception that these concrete homes are so expensive, when it's completely false. As I stated my neighbor paid only 7% more than the quote he got on the same size wood framed house with stucco siding. So I don't want anything as you asked, but after finding my answer, I thought I'd share. Again nothing sinister. If many of you are home builders, then why get offended by a home buyer researching and asking questions about different ways to build? If you cared as a home builder, why would you not want to give the buyer more than one option to having a home built? Why not let them know there is a superior way to build than the old wood framed home? The more I talk about this with friends and co workers, the more I find out very few are aware of these concrete homes. In fact there wasn't one person that even knew it was possible to have such a home built. But every one I spoke to said if they were having a house built, they would definitely look into it, and would not mind spending anywhere from 10-25% more. I think people need to know what their options are. This is why I shared. So I hope that clears things up. And if you are a home builder, maybe you can explain to tickle the difference with these concrete homes and wooden framed homes with vinyl, stucco, etc. siding. As you can see, I sure can't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extending a concrete slab patio using concrete blocks [ 11 Answers ]

I currently have a 14x16 concrete patio I am about to build a pergola over and have also decided to lay stone tiles over the concrete instead of staining it to give it a new look. I was looking at my plans and realized this would be a perfect opportunity to extend my patio out another 5ft so it...

How do I lay concrete over concrete to avoid chipping, flaking and cracking? [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering overlaying concrete over concrete in the basement. How can I best do this to avoid problems with it in the future. I plan on coloring the cement before I say or staining it once it has been overlayed. I want to do it right the first time. Thanks

Interior concrete floors over the existing concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

Can you put an interior decorative concrete floor over an existing concrete slab that now is carpeted

How many bags of ready mix concrete to make 1 1/2 yards of concrete? [ 2 Answers ]

How many 80lb bags of ready mix concrete do I need to make a yard and half

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

View more questions Search