Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 07:42 PM

The home you looked at is it all concrete walls and ceilings? Was it precast panels?

I work and build buildings/homes that are all concrete. They are in the Caribbean. Also build stick homes in the states with vinyl siding or a brick Veneer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2009, 06:22 AM
    I'm still trying to get a answer to my earlier post.
    I'm curious, are we talking about homes with cement block outside walls or a home with poured and rebar walls or could this be a "prefab" factory built cement jobby? If we're talking about cement block construction then most of the homes in my area, including my own, are ":cement homes". Regards, tom
    Have I missed the answer? Tom
    therealJayman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 12:28 AM
    I thought you might like this. It's a pretty cool system.

ARXX Building Products -The Arxx Wallsystem consists of interlocking, lightweight, expanded polystyrene forms. Designed to be an integral part of the wall, the forms remain in position after the concrete is placed. The insulating capacity of expanded polystyrene coupled with the structural integrity of reinforced concrete is a powerful combination — it makes Arxx walls stronger, safer, quieter and more energy efficient. Arxx walls meet or exceed standards set by building codes. Arxx walls stand up to the forces of time and nature. The structural integrity of steel-reinforced concrete provides exceptional protection from hurricanes and tornadoes. Arxx walls are fire-resistant too. Arxx walls provide exceptional insulation and this means significant ongoing savings to building owners and increased comfort to the people who live and work in Arxx buildings. These ICF walls can provide thermal performance values equivalent to, or better than, R-50 wood-frame construction. Nice website had much info--lots of it in downloadable .pdf files. Www.arxxbuild.com
    tempot Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by therealJayman View Post
    I thought you might like this. It's a pretty cool system.

ARXX Building Products -The Arxx Wallsystem consists of interlocking, lightweight, expanded polystyrene forms. Designed to be an integral part of the wall, the forms remain in position after the concrete is placed. The insulating capacity of expanded polystyrene coupled with the structural integrity of reinforced concrete is a powerful combination — it makes Arxx walls stronger, safer, quieter and more energy efficient. Arxx walls meet or exceed standards set by building codes. Arxx walls stand up to the forces of time and nature. The structural integrity of steel-reinforced concrete provides exceptional protection from hurricanes and tornadoes. Arxx walls are fire-resistant too. Arxx walls provide exceptional insulation and this means significant ongoing savings to building owners and increased comfort to the people who live and work in Arxx buildings. These ICF walls can provide thermal performance values equivalent to, or better than, R-50 wood-frame construction. Nice website had much info--lots of it in downloadable .pdf files. ARXX
    Wow, thank you for the link. It's really too bad that people like Tickle don't see the difference between these homes and the stick and paper homes that are the majority in North America. Not really sure why someone couldn't see the difference after reading the info on all the websites that have been posted on this thread already. :confused:
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 02:53 AM

don't see the difference between these homes and the stick and paper homes that are the majority in North America. Not really sure why someone couldn't see the difference after reading the info on all the websites that have been posted on this thread already
    . I check out the ARXX site

Tempot the reason you not understanding why the "Builders" aren't jumping on this should be obvious. COST COST COST to build this way. This is coming from a Builder of homes in wood/masonry and ALL concrete homes. The roof is total concrete.. Look at this pdf File and pay attention to how much the basement is exposed. Greatly adds for more excavation. Also the footer must plus or minus 1/4" Do you realize the perfect forming that takes for a footer. As a mason to take an 1" out of a footer is a couple of block courses. Oh by they way I pick up a block and lay it like they pick up one of those tiny panels or the "Echo Block" I'm done but they still have a long way to go. So think of at least 3+ in cost for material and labor cost. You should see how fast setting 8' ply forms for an all concrete wall. I can reuse the forms and all bracing and even climb up the forms.

I chuckling because I've seen this system on a Bob Vila Show I think in the early 90s. History in my area. Mid to late 80s I saw basement walls that are precast concrete with treated lumber in the inside for nailer's to finish the walls. First snafu was site changes of adding a basement door entrance and it go on.
    Anther is look at the Pdf file http://www.arxxbuild.com/products/8_steps.phpof the guy pouring concrete and see how wavy the wall is. Ouch... Do you have any idea what that takes to parge/stucco out a wave not to mention the plate needing to be set out on the furtherest bump so the wall above the basement foundation is straight. I form with wood ply Hd boards or reg 3/4 ply and steel forms. You can string line that so be Perfectly straight with turnbuckles.

Also add if you are going to use the arxx system you also need steel conduit and steel shallow boxes for All exterior walls for inside outlets. Not just Romex and plastic boxes. 2x the costs in labor and materials. But the way I can show you a stick/log cabin in my town very old or Williams Burg Virginia the ALL stick built. So get back to me when you find out the real cost to build that home and the snafus it can cause..

This is the system I use for Crete walls. Concrete Forming Accessories
    viken Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2010, 11:06 PM

I have been reading these posts and would like to clear a few things up based on personal experience. I am building a new house and decided to use the ARXX building system. I received quotes from 2 contractors for conventional stick framing and 3 contractors for ICFs for exactly the same floor plan. The ARXX house came in at 7% more overall. We now have just completed the ARXX portion with the pouring of the walls. The various systems and procedures ARXX has developed for keeping the walls in line eliminates any possibility of any misalignment. The walls are perfectly straight and plumb. The interior surface is absolutely flat which means full support for the sheetrock which cannot be obtained with stick framing. It took 2 of us 3 weeks to complete the footings and assemble the walls which is very good considering that now the concrete has been placed the walls are complete with only the services and finish to be done. We are very pleased with the product and the fact that this is primarily a "green" building material and that a significant portion of the ICF is made from recycled materials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extending a concrete slab patio using concrete blocks [ 11 Answers ]

I currently have a 14x16 concrete patio I am about to build a pergola over and have also decided to lay stone tiles over the concrete instead of staining it to give it a new look. I was looking at my plans and realized this would be a perfect opportunity to extend my patio out another 5ft so it...

How do I lay concrete over concrete to avoid chipping, flaking and cracking? [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering overlaying concrete over concrete in the basement. How can I best do this to avoid problems with it in the future. I plan on coloring the cement before I say or staining it once it has been overlayed. I want to do it right the first time. Thanks

Interior concrete floors over the existing concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

Can you put an interior decorative concrete floor over an existing concrete slab that now is carpeted

How many bags of ready mix concrete to make 1 1/2 yards of concrete? [ 2 Answers ]

How many 80lb bags of ready mix concrete do I need to make a yard and half

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

View more questions Search