Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jul 28, 2009, 01:07 PM
    How did we come up with the order of operation?
    How did we originally say that everything in the parenthesis has to be done first. And what evidence do we rely on to say that multiplication/division have to be done before adding/subtraction?

Everything in the world/universe we know of today relies on those basic calculation skills, known as the order of operation. We calculate how far the stars, galaxies, etc. using those basic knowledge.

What if, just what if, there is another civilization out there somewhere who has a different type of order of operation. Instead of doing multiplication/divisions first, they do adding/subtraction first. Wouldn't then all their calculations on the universe and their world be much different from our view of the universe/world?

Since our view and their views are so different, wouldn't it be catastrophic?

:):D;):(:o:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 01:28 PM

To do those calculations everythiing is converted to RPN, so this is fundamental. RPN is reverse Polish Notation.

Thus 3(3+8/2)*(1/8) is

1 8 / 8 2 / 3+ 3 * *

I use an RPN calculator all the time. I prefer it. No one will borrow the calculator either.

Reverse Polish notation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 01:33 PM
    SO, you learn their language.

Use pictures of a circle. What is area, etc.
    So we use pi*R^2 and maybe they use sigma * r $ r"
    where their $ is our * and r * r is r^2; You have to learn their language. Math is a language, I think.

Jul 28, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    SO, you learn their language.

Use pictures of a circle. What is area, etc.
    So we use pi*R^2 and maybe they use sigma * r $ r"
    where their $ is our * and r * r is r^2; You have to learn their language. Math is a language, I think.
    OHHH, so basically, if there calculation of the area of a circle is off, then we know that they're language AND calculation is all off eh? I get you!
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 06:32 PM

You ought to see this movie: Colossus the Forbin Project

Colossus: The Forbin Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two supercomputers one in Russia and one in the US start to talk to each other.

Jul 28, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    You ought to see this movie: Colossus the Forbin Project

Colossus: The Forbin Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two supercomputers one in Russia and one in the US start to talk to each other.
    Thanks man!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Proposed Order/Signed order [ 17 Answers ]

We have a signed temporary order from Jan 2008. The court master issued a propsed order Sept 2008, but that has not been signed, and it may take a while since exceptions were fied. The proposed order has a modified schedule and a different CS amount and orders the Sept payment to go to me...

Incredimail Operation [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to open my Incredimail site I get the message Keylip error:#15->FILE MISSING What should I do to access my E-mails ?

Weakness after operation [ 1 Answers ]

Had op for kidney stones , in hospital 9days asthings didn't go to plan. Sent home, after 5days taken back in with septicema, took 4days to get over it. Home now but still very weak, been to gp and sent for blood tests to see if I am anemic wonder if I have mrsa I have no energy at al. How long...

The operation [ 3 Answers ]

Jimmy went to his local doctor and stated confidently, 'ive considered the options and decided I was to be castrated' The doctor is rather shocked at this and asks why he wants to do that? Jimmy replies 'well my friend had it done and said it drastically improved his sex life', The...

View more questions Search