Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 28, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Satellite TV & Network Cable in Basement
    I'm finishing my basement and would like some advice on running cable for TV and network connections. Currently I have access to all walls and the ceiling in the basement. I have an existing standard def dish with two TVs upstairs, each with its own box. My current computer is upstairs, with a DSL connection. I will be adding an HD TV in the basement as well as wanting to have another computer with internet access.

What is the best was to wire for my current needs as well as building in some flexibility for future technology. All input welcome...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 01:08 PM

Well, the standard was 2 RG-6 quad, Two Cat 5/5E/6 ith fiber optional to each location.

This is an entertainment center, so obviously it needs more. Many things can be brouodcast of Cat 5.

Fios needs a Cat 5 and an RG6. Cable boxes need coax + phone. Not sure what satellite needs, but the actuator cable is specific.

The keystone inserts with a large panel come to mind.

The low voltage flex conduit can be used to add things.

If you can put in ridged conduit with easy access, by all means do so.

That original standard BTW was basiccally:
    1. coax in
    2. coax out
    3. telephone
    4 Internet
    5. Fiber - future

All of that can be bundled into a single cable. Take a look at Home Page - HomeTech Solutions.

Remember to run everything to a cetral point. You can also use access panels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Satellite TV [ 4 Answers ]

Can my lanlord evict me or take down my satellite in a private apartment bldg first the superintendent told me I can't have it now he says I can but outside my window but not on the roof where it is currently installed what are my rights?

Network cable unplugged [ 3 Answers ]

Trying to hookup dsl and the ethernet light does not come on. I get a message that says the network cable is unplugged.HELP!

Slow logon when network cable plugged [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I seem to be having a problem with my logon speed. I have 2 ethernet cards in both of my PCs. I use one card on each PC to connect to the internet via a router, and this setup is fine. But I recently connected my PCs together using the other ethernet cards and a crossover cable. ...

Home Wireless network + Cable Internet [ 4 Answers ]

So cable internet finally got cheap enough here in Croatia, and I consider switching to it. I'm currently using a LAN of 3 computers, connected through a switch. I'm also considering switching to wireless network because I'll have to move the main computer to another room, which would cause me to...

View more questions Search