Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ImWho Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2006, 01:05 AM
    Outdoor Wood Furnace
    I have several questions regarding an outdoor wood furnace.
    I know there is a "special" paint used on these, that is "normal" to throw off a smell. As well as some "light oils" used in construction.
    We are having the problem that the house is getting smokey, and that smell is strong.
    How long should we expect this to last? Is it a curing process the outdoor wood furnace needs to go through? Should we disconnect and fire it up so it's not vented inside?
    For reference, this is a Norseman brand.

The smoke and odor are very worrysome.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2006, 05:41 AM
    This sounds excessive. Does it not say in the paperwork what the cure time should be?
    I tried to find that brand's website for some guidance but am not finding it... just dealers.

If you don't have the paperwork, I'd call the dealer and ask them about it.
    ImWho Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2006, 01:07 PM
    It doesn't mention a "cure time", but it does say that 12-15 burns should end it, but the oils used during construction would last a little longer.
    I stayed up last nigt, it was pretty bad. I was concerned with smoke inhalation. The brands website is Vogelzang.

The smoke coming in, is not the same as smoke from the flue/chimney. It's not the wood smell. (if that makes sense, kind of hard to explain in type sometimes.)
    I looked, but found nothing more than then 12-15 burns.

Maybe since it was worse yesterday than last week when we ran it, it means it's close to being all out?
    Husband is sure that it's the "new burning off".
    Calling the dealer is useless, they knew very little about it. We actually gave them information on them. :rolleyes:
    Thanks so much for your reply. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor Wood Furnace Second Thermostat Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed an Outdoor Wood Furnace and need help with wiring the thermostat. My indoor furnace is a Trane Gas Furnaceand A/C. I am trying to wire a second thermostat to the blower on the gas furnace so I can just run the blower. The Trane thermostat wires are W,R, Y, and G. I installed a...

Wood add-on furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently installed a wood add-on furnace to my oil furnace. The way it works is a trunk line comes from oil furnace plenum(heat) to bottom of wood add-on, then all duct work for house is connected to plenum on wood add-on. The problem I'm having is getting the wiring for wood add-on...

Wood furnace [ 2 Answers ]

We have a wood furnace that blows heat to gas furnace. When fan/limit switches reaches temp blower kicks on blowing heat in.Worked fine last winter now blower will not kick in when limit is reached.Any idea why?

View more questions Search