Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Telsa14 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Stadge fright
    I love to sing it is one of my biggest hobbies ever people tell me that I am a great singer all the time. But once I get on stage I freez up the words just don't come to me. How do I over come stadge fright?
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Jul 28, 2009, 10:58 AM

What is going through your mind when you are on stage? Are you really nervous? Or is it something that seems out of your control?

Jul 28, 2009, 11:01 AM

I freeze up and I go blank I forget the words and stuff.

Jul 28, 2009, 11:03 AM

But is it from nervousness? I perform regularly and I get nervous almost every time. Actually the more people that are there the better. But I forget words all the time too, usually because I'm preoccupied with my guitar or what the rest of the band is doing and lose my place. Is that what is happening to you? It sounds like its just straight nervousness?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 11:03 AM

You need to practice some deep breathing exercises before going on stage

Jul 28, 2009, 11:06 AM

OK I will try that

Jul 28, 2009, 11:07 AM

But does it go beyond breathing? Are you afraid of people judging you? Do you feel that you might fail, or that you aren't good enough? What is behind the issue?

Jul 28, 2009, 11:12 AM

Well I don't want to get booed of the stage or have something bad like that happen to me. So I think it is a mixture of nervousness and fear

Jul 28, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Are you confident in your abilities? Have you sang for other people, and gotten praise for your abilities, like sing for friends or family? If you are confident in your abilities, you shouldn't have anything to fear. I've had bad shows, but have yet to be actually booed off stage. Generally most people won't boo.

Jul 28, 2009, 11:19 AM

Well that's good to know.

Jul 28, 2009, 11:27 AM

But it doesn't end there. I think part of the issue is if you start to dwell on whether you might forget the words, it sort of compounds and the fear and nervousness actually feed on itself. You have to try to breathe as daniel said, but in doing so relax. Keep thinking to yourself that it'll be fine. And especially if you can accept that you probably will make mistakes, the fear will start to disappear. It'll probably always be there, but try to move past it. What ever you do, don't resort to drugs or alcohol to remove the fear. This can lead to addictions, which plague the music industry as we all know.

Jul 28, 2009, 11:32 AM

Well thanks and no I will never do drugs ar anything like that I haven't and I won't

Jul 28, 2009, 11:35 AM

Well I hoped I helped at least a little. I remember when I first started performing, I was a wreck. But the thought of freezing on stage in front of people was actually scarier and more embarrassing than performing poorly, so just like ripping off a bandaid, I just went with it. And it got easier and easier from there. And like I said I still get nervous, but not to the same degree. Just keep in mind that you are out there for you, and how much fun it is and you should be fine.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Hi, Telsa14!

You've already received some excellent advice on this thread! What I'm wondering is, the type of music that you sing, whether you have accompaniment when you sing, how much and how you've prepared the music and the type of audiences it is for which you sing, please?

Thanks!
    Tatanka Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 05:27 PM

I sang professionally for years. The comment above about deep breathing is what I always use "just before" I sing - one to three minutes before. Don't take in too much air; breathe in slowly, till your abdomen is pleasantly full, then out - S L O W L Y - in again, S L O W L Y, then out.

One trick that helped me in the beginning was to picture something at the back of the room or auditorium - clocks are good - better someTHING rather than an individual face. It can be part of the structure, a door, window, picture on the wall; decoration; anything - - but above the heads of the people. Sing TO THAT ! Hope it helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stage Fright [ 7 Answers ]

I'm an aspiring gospel singer and I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty good! The only thing I have a problem with is when it's time for me to sing in front of other people, I get very nervous and it's hard for me to control my voice because I'm nervous and I feel like I'm not giving my best...

Hair fright, Do it right. [ 1 Answers ]

Alright, for awhile now I've been wanting to dye my hair back to my natural color, light brown. It's black right now and I'm scared less to dye it back, because I don't want to kill my hair. What would they have to do to get it back to my natural color? How much would it cost? Would it turn...

Flying Fright [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I have been cheerleading for about 4 years, but I get really scared when in extensions... I mean, I can do a perfect scorpion, an almost perfect heelstretch, and a scale. And I'm not sure if I can do any tumbling, and don't know if I should try.. Any tips for flying? And do you think...

Fright Of my Life [ 28 Answers ]

Hi all I just had the scare of all time. Ive been getting period like pains and I went to my doctor and she said everything was fine it was normal to have those type of paisn, however tonight I had a stabbing like pain in my lower tummy it last for about 4/5mins then went but it was so bad it...

View more questions Search