Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 28, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Drywall for corner greater/less than 90 degrees.
    Any tips for hanging and finishing drywall on a corner that is not 90 degrees. There are two places where I will have greater than 90 degrees (approximately 135) for inside and outside corners. Is there a special corner bead strip or can I use regular corner bead and bend it? Thanks in advance for the help/advice!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 10:02 AM

Inside corners do not get a bead, use paper or fiber glass tape, preferably the later. Outside corners can be beaded with vinyl bead.
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 28, 2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the quick answer!
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Jul 29, 2009, 01:29 PM

The outside corner can be done with a metal corner bead they make a 135 bead and the inside corner should be taped with paper tape and joint compound
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 04:25 PM

There is a paper tape made for outside corners that are larger than 90 degrees. It has 2 lines of aluminum running the length with a pre creased line in the middle.

When installing the S/R, try to make a good outside corner. Use utility knife or surf planer on edge.

Chuck
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Certainly no expert here, but have seen pros cut the back paper either and break the rock leaving the face paper intact, for inside corners, and gouge out some rock for outside corners.

They made the crease in the face paper perfect and eliminated taping these joints.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 05:40 PM

Neat idea TK, I'll have to try that sometimes. Of course both wall would have to be kind of plumb.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 06:42 PM

I have seen readi made 120 degree but not 135, got to l;ook for that next time.
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Jul 31, 2009, 07:51 PM

If you can't figure out how to do the inside corner there is a few products out there to do it 1 is called straight flex and another is no coat these products are not real cheap I have also seen straight flex used on outside corners do not use the tape with the metal glued to it it is more work than any thing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

Need something to cover the corner between tile and drywall [ 3 Answers ]

We are tiling our shower and we've found that our walls are not square. At the corner where the tiled wall of the shower meets the regular dry-walled wall, there is a gap that gets wider as you get further down the wall. Is there something we can do that will cover this corner and the gap? It will...

Drywall corner technique [ 6 Answers ]

Well, I am progressing with my seemingly endless bathroom remodel and have a few drywll/mudding questions: 1) What are some techniques for neatly mudding and sanding the top ceiling corners where the 2 walls and ceiling meet? I have a corner sponge which is great for the long 2 wall corners but...

View more questions Search