Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hellonikki Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 04:26 AM
    Why do chrstians not believe in astrology?
    Can anyone explain why Christianity and other world religions look at astrology as sinful?

And can someone give me another answer other than because God said it was bad in the bible.

Thanks.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 04:37 AM

I would venture to guess because Christians tend to go by the bible, hence being a christian. And since astrology goes against that... well, there you have it.

Jul 28, 2009, 04:46 AM
    Wow OK, that is personally what I can't stand about religion.
    And that's why I have lost a LOT of faith.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 04:49 AM

It's your choice what you want to follow. People believe different things. I don't personally like to debate religion but I wanted to tell you from my standpoint why I don't believe in it.

Jul 28, 2009, 05:11 AM
    You don't believe in astrology or you don't believe in religion?
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 05:13 AM

I don't believe in astrology. I've had too many things happen in my life to not believe in religion. Too many crazy things... lol
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 28, 2009, 05:24 AM
    I actually think a lot of things astrology based are fairly accurate. Here's the thing that I have a hard time understanding. Astrology is based on our planets, scientists recently re-classified Pluto. If that's true, then does that negate Astrology as a whole? And if it does, why is so much of it eerily accurate? Is this going to be one of those posts where someone explains to me why I am wrong and how I quoted it wrong? :confused:

Personally, I think that a lot of beliefs based on the unseen develop around faith. It's possible a person who believes in Christianity is reading this asking, how CAN you believe in Astrology when God is evident in the very air we breathe. It may not be that astrology is necessarily sinful, so much as it is irrelevant to their faith, and therefore unrelated.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chey5782 View Post
    It may not be that astrology is necessarily sinful, so much as it is irrelevant to their faith, and therefore unrelated.
    Edit: sorry, had to spread the rep.

That's exactly it to me. I don't think it's sinful, it's just not something that I personally believe in.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 02:39 PM

For one God forbid it in Deutronomy because He said that you are to put your faith in letting Him be your guidance not what fortune tellers say.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 02:57 PM

Years ago, my mil had her fortune read by the famous Jeane Dixon. Mil's question was, "Will my husband and I stay in Illinois for our retirement, or will we move somewhere else (and where)?" Ms. Dixon used both birthdays as her guide and determined my in-laws would remain in Illinois until they died.

When my in-laws were planning retirement, people would ask if they planned to stick around or move to some luscious retirement community in some fabulous location. My mil's answer was, "We have to stay in Illinois because that's what Jeane Dixon said we would do."

That's too often what we do with astrology: fit who we are and what we will do to the prediction. I'm a Scorpio. Scorpio traits fit me very nicely--but then so do traits in other signs. Maybe I'm just a cosmic child.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 03:14 PM

Just as WG said if a fortune teller says we will do something then we lean toward doing that because we think they have the answers when maybe it is what we will do but maybe it isn't the thing we should do.
    Like if they say you will buy a house in this neighborhood you are influenced to buy a house in that neighborhood. But maybe that is a bad choice.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 29, 2009, 12:09 AM
    I think that's a pretty subjective thing to say. My fortune teller told me once that she saw my life surrounded by children. A year later I gave a baby up for adoption. That's like saying people are too stupid to make their own choices. It's a commonly known fact that the tides are effected by the pull of the moon, that's a fact. But who is to say that the orbits of the bits of molecules around us don't effect some of the ways we do things. They effect the female menstrual cycle. And these are purely physical things that we see. I'm still kind of on the wall about astrology, but I don't discount the possibilities. They did find cellular fossils on Mars after all. I think you are giving people too much credit for being sheep, not all of us are, that's just too generalized a statement to convince me. Though I am not discounting it, for a LOT of people the very suggestion IS enough to go act like a sheep. Just not me.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:10 AM

I agree many (not all) people do allow it too influence their life too much. Like wondergirl said about her mil never leaving Chicago because the foretune teller told her she would live in Chicago.
    I do believe that the stars do have an impact on our lives somewhat. I did mention that I do believe that.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Here's the thing that I have a hard time understanding. Astrology is based on our planets, scientists recently re-classified Pluto. If that's true, then does that negate Astrology as a whole?
    I don't think the astrologers give a hoot about how astronomers classify the planets. No one knew that Pluto even exists until 1930, so you really have to wonder if Pluto is important to astrologists how they ever could claim to make accurate predictions prior to that! Similarly, Neptune wasn't discovered until 1846 - does that mean that all astrology prior to that was bogus?

Astrologers also don't care how astronomers classify the constellations. In astrology there are 12 signs of the zodiac, presumably corresponding to twelve constellations that the sun and planets pase through along the ecliptic. But in fact there are 13 constellations on the ecliptic, as defined by astronomers - the sun is actually in the constellation Ophiucus in late November and early December. I have to wonder how many people think they were born under Sagittarius when in fact they are Ophiucans?

Full disclosure - I do not believe in astrology at all - no credible study has ever been done to show that it is anything but wishful thinking.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:24 AM

yeah the thing is the planets are going to have whatever effect they have no matter what man says or calls anything.
    I believe they do have an influence but I really wonder how astrology can even be accurate on predicting the future since there are too many variables and even with shifting of planets and changes in calendars how accurate can they be?
    I really do believe there is something to your astrology sign having a part in who you are but telling the future gets too sketchy.
    vLinko Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 05:19 AM
    Astrology doesn't go against the Bible. Astrology goes against Aristotle and the Popes of the middle ages. And they are not representatives of Christianity. As far as I'm concerned. They are just a bunch of grumpy old men who likes killing people in the name of God. Newton is a fervent Christian spending his entire life searching for a code in the Bible that would tell him the future. Yah he was bonkers but he was a milestone of astrology so hey. Stay frosty.
    vLinko Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 05:21 AM
    And astrology is bull astronomy is a lot better. Take control of your own life. God judges people because they are bad people, not because the stars tell them to be bad. Gee then am I glad my star is awesome?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 7, 2010, 05:57 AM
    I actually think a lot of things astrology based are fairly accurate. Here's the thing that I have a hard time understanding. Astrology is based on our planets, scientists recently re-classified Pluto. If that's true, then does that negate Astrology as a whole? And if it does, why is so much of it eerily accurate?
    This is quite a funny notion - that somehow astrologers care about how astronomers classify objects like Pluto. If Pluto does carry some sort of influence on humans, then shouldn't also the dwarf planet Eris be included in asytrological readings, since it is larger than Pluto? Or Ceres, which is the third dwarf planet - closer to Earth than Pluto, though not as large. I've always wondered: since Pluto was only discovered in 1930 - and hence astrologers hadn't yet made up what the presumed influence of Pluto is until them - does that mean that everyone born before 1930 had incomplete (and thus inaccurate) horoscopes? And to show further that scientists and astrologers do not agree on even the most straight forward of things - consider that the constellations as defined by astronomers are not the same as those defined by astrologers. In December of every year the sun passes through the constellation Ophiuchus, which is located between Scorpius and Sagittarius, yet I have not yet met anyone who says his or her sign is Ophiucus. And to answer your question - yes, science negates astrology as a whole.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Formersush View Post
    chrstians don't even believe themselves..
    Huh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What astrology sign are you? [ 184 Answers ]

Hey everyone, wanted to start a thread so we can get to know our members a little better. Just want to know what zodiac sign you are and give something about you that relates to that sign =P. me, I'm a libra =P I like to be creative and sometimes I'm a little extra =P. I try to be funny but most...

Astrology Compatibility [ 4 Answers ]

Who is Scorpio more compatible with? Cancer or Pisces

Legitimate astrology? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering why so many astrologists are incorrect with their predictions? I was curious as to whether astrology really goes hand in hand with predictions of every day subtle events (such as money, love, lifestyle, habits.. etc) or rather more to do with global events and galaxy/universal...

Astrology in islam [ 3 Answers ]

Does quran says about any astrology? Does planets are described in quran? What about astrology in quran??

Asrtonomy/astrology? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi pals Astronomy and astrology , are they both same?

View more questions Search