Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    britt_lynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 09:26 PM
    How does someone potty train a Hoarded dog?
    My sister adopted a corgie mix about a year ago and her name is Shelby. Her fiancé and her have tried to potty train shelby since the day they got her and nothing has worked. She came from the humane society and they had mentioned that she was horded. Shelby is a great mannered dog and she listens very well it's just when it comes time for her to go to her crate when they are leaving for work or something she always does her business in the crate no matter if she just went out and did her business. She also rolls or lays all in her mess. They are at a stand still they love shelby and are trying to make her understand she must do her business outside! How do you potty train a hoarder dog that doesn't mind to mess where it lays sleeps eats or lives?
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 11:20 PM

Patients and practice. It will be as if she was a baby all over again. It will take a great deal of time, love, patients, and effort. But its possible.

I would suggest a run outside. (a dog house, with a gated little yard) perhaps if she were there instead of the crate, she would get the idea better.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 04:44 AM

If she was from a place that hoared dogs it is likely that she does not understand or care about sitting in her own feces as that is what she is used to.

People that hoard dogs usually have disgusting living conditions and the dogs suffer for it in more ways than one.

Ust be persistent and patient as Jennie said.

Keep trying with potty training, when you actually see her potty on the floor tell her "no" in a growly voice and take her outside straight away.

When she does do her business outside then give her a ton of praise, make her think it is the best thing in the world.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 28, 2009, 10:45 AM

Great advice jenni, but if they live where I do this time of year an outdoor dog run would not be good for the dog. Yesterday was 107 sorry I live in the US so don't know what that would be in other countries. Maybe a dog run attached to the house with a doggy door? That way Shelby could get the idea to go outside. Good luck lots of TLC and a firm tone of voice works.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 28, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Potty training a dog takes time, as most people have already said.

If the dog does it's business indoors then pick her up, look her in the eyes, and say No in a growly voice.
    If the dog does it's business outside act like the dog just won a billion dollars.

This way the dog will learn to do it's business outside.

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:26 PM
    What's a hoard dog?:confused:
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 02:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    What's a hoard dog?:confused:
    People who basically collect dogs.

They can have literally hundreds of dogs in their home and these dogs are rarely given any vet care, are left alone to breed without supervision.
    They usually do not clean their house and it can be covered in feces.

These dogs are then rescued and the ones that are healthy enough are adopted out to better homes.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 29, 2009, 09:29 PM

People who hoard are not per say bad they just have a very bad habit. I talked to a lady who hoarded cats, the problem was she did't think anyone else could love them the way she did. By the way she did clean her house it was just that with so many cats it was a never ending battle to keep clean and after so many, cats it was impossible to get clean. She cried for days after they took the cats away. She could tell you the names of every one of them.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntSwee View Post
    People who hoard are not per say bad they just have a very bad habit. I talked to a lady who hoarded cats, the problem was she did't think anyone else could love them the way she did. By the way she did clean her house it was just that with so many cats it was a never ending battle to keep clean and after so many, cats it was impossible to get clean. She cried for days after they took the cats away. She could tell you the names of every one of them.
    Yes, sorry I wasn't saying that the people were necessary dirty people but with that amount of dogs/cats then it is impossible to control the situation. Eventually most of them just give up and let everything go crazy.
    They cannot afford to have so many animals vet treated and even spay/neutered which just causes even more dogs adding to the problem.

I don't doubt that they love these animals but they do have some serious problems.
    I do find it hard to believe that they can love them all equally, I have 2 dogs here and I feel guilty when I am giving one attention and not the other, image that times 100.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to potty train my dog? [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I go to school everyday and I already paid for this really really cute 6 week old and me and my dad gone to see the puppy and then we paid 50 pound deposit and then in 2 weeks I'm giving 200 pound ANYWAY lol :D when I'm getting him he's going to be 8 weeks old and he's not potty trained and...

How to potty train a zu to go outside? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old zu that goes on the pad when he is in a confined area indoors, but when I take him outside he does not go. What can I do?

Potty train for my shih tzu [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a 8 weeks old shih tzu. I work long hours so I plan to potty train him indoor. I use newspaper in the crate and he pees on it, but when I let him out, he won't do it but instead he pees on the carpet. Sometimes when I caught him when he need to go, so I put him on the paper he just...

Trying to potty train [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a miniature dachsund for my son. The lady who had him said that she had started potty training him until she got hurt and could not tend to him anymore. He is 9 weeks old and I have bought the potty pads for him. I have put the potty pad out and noticed that he will pee on the pad...

Potty Train 21mths. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... back history... my daughter is almost 21mths now and seems interested in using the potty. Problem is she won't take off her diaper. When she was about 14-15 months she use to take off her diaper and I would scold her for it and so she stopped and that was the end of it. But now that she wants...

View more questions Search