Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luthuli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 04:27 PM
    1982 ford bronco backfires and will not start
    My 1982 ford bronco died one day while I was driving when I tried to start the engine again it
    Started backfiring and spitting through the carburetor and caught fire it acts like the engine
    Is out of time I replaced the timing chain every thing linesup on TDC with the firing order.
    Plug wires are on properly engine has spark fuel firing order is OK but it still acts like its out of
    Time when I try to start it it acts like it wants to start but it spits and backfires, can someone help me solve this mystery.

Thank you,

LUTHULI ALLADIN
    my69mach Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2009, 07:45 AM

Did you remove the distributor at any time?
    Sounds like you have the distributor 180 degrees off.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 07:59 AM

With the #1 cylinder at TDC, the rotor should point to the distributor cap's #1 spark plug terminal. On those old Fords, the distributor is either installed correctly or 180 degrees off--in your case, it's likely the latter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford Bronco II won't Start - 1986 Model [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to All, I have a 1986 Ford Bronco II with the 2.9 fuel injected engine, it turns over okay, and I can hear the fuel pump running also, but it won't fire, This was an intermittent problem, but as of yesterday it won't start at all. Sometimes it will catch and run a little but very rough...

1989 ford bronco [ 1 Answers ]

My name is bruce I've got a 1989 ford bronco 11 with a 2.9 litre my question is first the low oil light came on so I changed out the oil pump and put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on now when I first crank the motor iread about 50 psi but after about 20 minutes of running the pressure will drop...

1992 Ford Bronco XLT cranks fine but won't start [ 1 Answers ]

1992 Ford Bronco XLT,5.8L, V8, fuel injection, tank half full, about 225,000 miles, less than 1,000 miles ago this vehicle passed the smog check. While driving on the highway the engine began to seriously miss, so pulled over. It was idling very roughly. After turning it off, unable to start...

View more questions Search