Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    da1al2am3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Why my 3 year old is not speaking. Just says mama and dada, also milk?
    Want to know why my 3 year old grandson isn't speaking. His Mom is considered a little slow by her parents, but she is a wonderful Mom. The second child is 11months and he is walking and verbalizing already. Daniel has very good comprehension, but his verbal skills are just not happening. He does not have too much interaction with other kids but both parents spend quite a bit of time with him. A little concerned as we don't want him to have problems in school.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Some children just don't have a lot to say. My grand Daughter didn't start speaking that we could understand until she was about 3 1/2. She seems to be talking fine now.

Also sometimes if the parents are always answering the questions for the child the child does not get to practice their verbal skills. IE "How are you doing today Stacy?" and before the child can answer Mom says "Oh, she's doing great, we went here and there etc."

Or if they have got into the habit of just recognizing signs the child gives for certain things and doesn't wait for the word before granting the wish.:)

If everyone is concerned, you can always take him to speech therapist.

How is the 3 year olds hearing?
    miana799 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Tell them to read to the child.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 11:47 AM
    This may not be the answer, but my daughter, a twin with a nonidentical brother, had speech problems up to about age four. Twins, at least ours, tend to speak their own language to each other, and our son was more dominant, so it seemed that he was doing the talking for her. He was, and still is, very protective of her.

We ended up having her hearing check and found issues, and had the tubes out in her ears to drain fluids.

I so wish I was there that day my wife walked her out of the hospital for the one day surgery. My daughter,s face lit up and looked up at my wife and cheerfully said, "Momma I can hear the birds!" Brought tears to my wife.

She is now 30 and has not shut up since.

Have his hearing checked, and read, read, read to him no matter the diagnosis.
    Jillian11905 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 11:55 AM

My son is 4 1/2. He has been speaking since he was about 1 but he seems to be behind. I know my problem was lack of parenting skills. When he pointed to something I just gave it to him. I didn't ask him to tell me what he wanted. When he was about to the daycare noticed that he wasn't speaking as well as others his age and recommended that I take him to speech therapy to have him assessed. He shocked and amazed me to no end. Kids tend to have all of the detail in their brains but have a hard time articulating. At 41/2 he is still a very quiet child and some people have a hard time understanding him, but through speech therapy, school, and working with him at home you can see his progress coming right along and I think in about another 6 months, I will be on here asking how can I get my kid to shhhhh. Lol

All kids develop differently, my son is VERY active and can solve many problems. He is just behind on the speech but like someone stated above, maybe he or she just have nothing to say. But give it time and have him checked over and trust me you grandchild will catch right up with the rest of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speaking difficulty for a 2-year old child [ 1 Answers ]

I shifted from Delhi to Mauritius about six months back with my family including my son (presently 2-year old). Prior to shifting here, my son used to say a few words like mama, papa etc. However, since our arrival in Mauritius, he has totally stopped speaking. The local paedeatrician opined that...

Using whole milk instead of evaporated milk [ 2 Answers ]

I have a recipe for squash cassarole that calls for 2/3 cup of evaporated milk, but I only have whole milk. Can this be an even exchange?

Mama Mia [ 1 Answers ]

Hola everyone, :) My family is going to New York to see the Broadway production, Mamma Mia. And yes, I do know there is already a movie coming out, but we'd like to see it on stage. My question is this: Have any of you seen this on Broadway? If so, what is your critics or reviews of the show? ...

Hot Mama [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased this home 6 months ago. I have a thermostat that is digital that I am not used to. It is currently 98 degrees but I am not sure of what I should set my cylce per hour to. I normally like for the home to be 70 degrees since I am a severe asthmatic however the room temp. has been...

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

View more questions Search