Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moza Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Cough
    My 7 month old Lab has a deep cough. He only coughs when he runs or gets excited just a few times then he stops. Sounds like Croop??
    We are having Santa Ana Winds could he have allergys? If so What can I give him.
    He is eating and playing fine. Nose is cold and wet
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Oct 19, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Hi Moza,
    Someone here may know better than me, though it sounds to me like your dog may be suffering from "kennel cough." Here is a fairly good link explaining it:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/kenc.html

Hope he gets better soon. Take care.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Rather than relying on anybody here, better call the vet. The vet can pin point the problem and give you better advice on protecting the other dog. It could already be too late to stop it from spreading.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 21, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Hello, first how old is your dog? Heartworm prevention? Deworming skd? Kennel cough can best be described as a "Honking" cough, but if in the early stages can be mild. Any discharge from eyes or nose? Ever been diagnosed with allergies? What are you feeding? Thanks, D
    Moza Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2006, 12:43 PM
    He is 7 months old. He has had allot of " firsts" lately.
    He went to the Dog Park, had a new dog friend, we got a new puppy
    He did eat a piece of dried poop on a pile of leaves we had racked
    Up in the backyard, I treated his blanket and dog house with Apple Bitter.
    We had Santa Ana Winds and the next day he started coughing
    He has eaten Iams puppy food since he was born, if we change he
    Gets diahrea
    Thanks
    I took him to the Vet yesterday, he said allot of dogs had been seen for
    The same thing this week. He thought it was a cold and didn't give him
    Anything for it. I have been giving him Vitamin C and Robitussin DM
    Seems to be quieting the cough some.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 21, 2006, 12:59 PM
    "He went to the Dog Park, had a new dog friend, we got a new puppy." Has your dog received a Bordetella vaccination? It can be either an injectable or instranasal?

"He did eat a piece of dried poop on a pile of leaves we had racked
    up in the backyard" Make sure he is dewormed regularly. Especially with a new puppy in the home. Also, regular heartworm prevention is a must.

"I treated his blanket and dog house with Apple Bitter." Not sure why this matters unless he is a chewer and you are worried he swallowed something.

"We had Santa Ana Winds and the next day he started coughing"
    In TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine) this is considered 'entrance of wind' and herbals can help immesnely with it. Try a holistic vet for this.

Good Luck,D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Month old baby has a stuffy nose and a cough [ 13 Answers ]

I have a month old baby. He has a stuffy nose and a cough. I took him to his doctor but the doctor says he's too young to take medicine. He has hard time sleeping, and I don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions what to do?:(

My cat has a cough [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2-year old male cale, with all shots, not neutured. He has been very healthy until now. He has developed a cough. I thought maybe it might be a hair ball because he had been licking his fur, it has been a week now and he is still coughing, acting like he has to throw up but doesn't. ...

Disinfecting for Kennel Cough ? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with disinfecting their house and yard and dog beds/kennels with the germ that causes kennel cough? I know about bleach mixtures, but that seems too caustic for metals crates, loungers and others. In doing a favor for a rescue group yesterday, I may have infected my...

Mini Dachshund with Kennel Cough [ 3 Answers ]

We just picked up our eight-week old Mini Dachshund from his breeder this week. We have a one year old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix that we got last year. The baby has had a weird cough since we picked him up, and I called the vet to see if I could get him an appointment. After finding a caring...

View more questions Search