Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    socalmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Limit switch
    What is a "limit switch" for a central heating unit? And is it expensive to replace?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 04:30 PM
    A limit switch is a switch that opens or closes at a certain temperature, the limit. Older furnaces used them to turn on the blower when the heat exchanger warmed up. Furnaces still use one to shut down the furnace if it over heats because the blower didn't start up or something.

I think they only run a few dollars. If you can identify the culprit, find it, and remove it, you may get away about as cheap as any repair other than a blown fuse. May have to invade an electrical or HVAC supply to buy one. Might try a hardware store first. They are usually friendlier to DIY. Often they are a round doodad with a diamond shaped bracket and 2 terminals. If they don't have a rating marked on them, you may have to take the model number of your furnace to a dealer for your brand of furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Limit Switch [ 15 Answers ]

I've raised this issue in other forums. I have a high efficiency furnace that has worked flawlessly for the last four years (the house was built in 2000). This year we had to have the circuit board replaced. After that there was a problem with the blower, i.e. it wasn't shutting down after the...

What is a limit switch? [ 4 Answers ]

When I woke up this AM my heater was blowing cold air and the fan wouldn't turn off. All other gas appliances, etc. worked fine. The indicator light on my furnace shows an open limit switch, but I have no clue where to even look for this. A little help?

Limit switch [ 1 Answers ]

My air conditioner's pan was full, we emptied it and now it won't cut on. Where is the reset button for the limit switch? Is there one? We can't find it.

Faulty limit switch? [ 6 Answers ]

Toward the end of a heating cycle, the burners would shut down and the fail code would read "open limit switch". The repairman said the limit switch was faulty and installed a new one a couple of days ago. It seemed to work fine until this morning, and now it's doing the same thing as mentioned...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search