Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romano5143 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Hipaa violation?
    Is it a Hipaa violation to inform a customer at a pharmacy about the price of their medication, cash price before and after insurance if they ask? Note: the name of the medication was never spoken aloud.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 06:57 PM

No because you are telling them about their medicine and allowing them the chance to make an informed decision if they want generic or whatever.
    HIPAA violation is someone in the medical field telling a third party about the patient. Now if you explain to somebody picking up their meds for them anything that would most likely be a HIPAA violation.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 08:49 PM

No, it would not be a violation as you would be simply discussing the price of the product, not what the product does for the disease or condition. The only other person who knows the name of the medication would be the pharmacist and if you don't mention the name of the medication, no one else knows what you are receiving medication wise.

How else would the pharmacist inform you that you have a choice of name brand or generic? They couldn't. It is simply a courtesy to the patient how much money they wish to spend or not spend.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 07:08 AM

Hello R:

Just how much IS the difference between the cash price and what the insurance company pays?

No, it's got nothing to do with your question. I just want to know.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation? [ 6 Answers ]

my husband was recently randomly tested and it came back positive for marijuana. Not a fulltime smoker but every now and then if someone has it he may take a puff. he attended counseling and went through the classes. He was re-tested by the couselor and came back clean. he went back to work...

HIPAA Violation? [ 1 Answers ]

My son, 17 years old, is in an outpatient drug rehabilitation center. They do random testing. Sessions are Monday through Thursday. He was tested on a Monday. That Thursday, one of the counselors told his girlfriend, also a patient there, that he tested positive for cocaine. He wasn't told...

Is this a hipaa violation [ 1 Answers ]

I work for an office that has patient files on desks and the hipaa sign in sheets out for anyone to see. The doctor doesn't seem to think this is a problem and when I bring it to her attention she bites my head off. This is very upsetting to me, am I wrong?

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 4 Answers ]

A counselor who works in the Mental Health population has been openly taking their psychiatric medications in front of co-workers and clients with mental disorders. Is this a violation? What steps are needed to report this? Should someone address it with upper management or file a complaint?

HIPAA violation [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a print out of all my precriptions from my husbands live in girl friend. I am separated from my husband for almost 2 years and going through divorce. I did have insurance through his work however I have a note on my file at walgreens to not give info to any one but me.. this...

View more questions Search