Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alicia81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 06:11 PM
    No Ground Wire in Ceiling for Fan
    Hi, based on the answer below I read on a previous post, I wanted to confirm I can install my new ceiling fan (with lights) without having a ground (green) wire in the ceiling. I only have 1 black and 1 white from the ceiling, where as my new fan has the blue, black, white and green. Am I to hook the blue & black fan wires to the black ceiling wire & the white to the white?

Thanks,

Alicia

May 26, 2009, 06:09 AM   #6   Report Inappropriate Post  
    Hkstroud
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

If you have no ground in the house wiring just tuck the fan ground away, or connect it to the ceiling box so it does not interfear with anything.

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 07:47 PM

A green or bare ground is desirable but not mandatory to get your fan/light to work. You can install without it. However we probably should talk about how you want to control the fan and light, most folks want separate controls. Black to black, then pigtail from the ceiling black to the blue. White to white. The fan black is for incoming power to the fan. The blue is for incoming power to the light. The white is a common neutral to both fan and light. Now when you turn on your switch both fan and light will come on together, is that what you want? Are there pull chains?
    Alicia81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    A green or bare ground is desirable but not mandatory to get your fan/light to work. You can install without it. However we probably should talk about how you want to control the fan and light, most folks want separate controls. Black to black, then pigtail from the ceiling black to the blue. White to white. The fan black is for incoming power to the fan. The blue is for incoming power to the light. The white is a common neutral to both fan and light. Now when you turn on your switch both fan and light will come on together, is that what you want? Are there pull chains?

Thanks for the info. I'm going to do this now!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 07:45 AM

Can you address this "Now when you turn on your switch both fan and light will come on together, is that what you want? Are there pull chains?
    "
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 09:09 PM

Alicia, to answer your question, yes.

Ceiling Fan Wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

Replacing a ceiling light without ground wire [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling light - what do I do with the ground wire on the new light since the old light did not have a ground wire and there is none in the ceiling?

Connecting neutral wire to ground wire in breaker panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can the neutral wire be connected to the ground wire at the neutral bar in the breaker panel?

Can I use a ground wire for a ground and live black or hot wire at the same time? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have 3 wires from my ceiling to connect to my fan/light, the black, white and bare ground. No problems setting up in this room to only one switch but I would like to have the duel fan/light switch in like in my other rooms without having to pull a wire from the ceiling down to the switch,...

New ceiling fan to replace old. No ground wire. [ 22 Answers ]

Here is my set up, a double light switch on either side of the room controls the fan and the light seperatley. The old fan had three wires connected - One labeled 'common' which was white, the other labeled 'motor' which was red and a blue wire for lights. There is no ground wire! The new fan...

View more questions Search