Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaryishaNelson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Just rescued a german shepard!
    I just saved a dog from someone who did not take care of him properly. He was killing their chickens and so they stuck him in a cage for god knows how long! He has scars and scabs on his head from hitting the top of the cage when he was jumping up in there. He is a 2 year old full blooded German Shepard and is very skinny! (You can see his ribs.) I already have a dog and thought that he would gorge on his food, but he doesn't. What can I feed to him to make him gain some weight and look healthy? Also, he is very aggressive towards cats and I have one. Does anyone have any ideas on how to curb that? I really don't want to get rid of him and I don't want to stress my cat out either! Help! Any serious inquiries would totally help me out! Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Take him and a stool sample to the vet and let the vet check for worms. Likely the former owner wasn't getting him the medical attention he needed. The vet should check for heart worm too. Fortunately we lose fewer dogs with the newer heartworm cures. Unless you have a severe winter already setting in, get him on heartworm preventative and keep him on it all year long.

Feed a dry concentrated chow, doesn't need to be an expensive, premium one, Pro Plan, Iams, Eukanube or even a house brand. If you are feeding your other dog a concentrated chow, may as well feed the same one to both.

Feed him all he wants. Once the vet clears up any health problems, he should eat at least enough that the ribs only show a little. Most dogs will eat more than is good for them and look for more. Shepherds often don't. It doesn't hurt for the ribs to show a little. Many Grate Danes are that way too. I even had a Lab that was that way once.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Satin Balls
    This recipe is one for putting weight on an animal quickly, as some use it for putting a couple extra pounds on a show animal prior to the big day, or an animal that may have been ill and needs a weight gain program. It has also been reported that this recipe will help with some forms of hair loss, such as when your dog(s) blow their coat, to keep the coat healthy and shiny. This recipe is entended to be fed raw.

10# hamburger meat
    1 jar wheat germ
    1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
    1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    10 eggs
    10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
    1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
    A pinch of salt
    1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
    (You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)

Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf... put into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed. It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat. You can use it every day when they have a show to do and it does not produce diarrhea. It can be fed alone or with kibble.
    The only thing I didn't like about the recipie is the sugar in the total cereal so if you think the same way I do then here is the recipie for a weight gain suppliment called fat balls... I know the names sound funny but they do usually work

1 lb ground beef
    1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
    1 jar all natural peanut butter
    1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ
    1 doz egg yolks
    1 cup or so of flaked oats soaked in heavy cream
    Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

I had success with bolth types using them to help a rottweiler and boxer to gain weight I hope I have helped you. Good luck.. Just don't overfeed him check to see what a dog his size and age should weigh.. and watch the weight gain closely
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44
    Satin Balls
    This recipe is one for putting weight on an animal quickly, as some use it for putting a couple extra pounds on a show animal prior to the big day, or an animal that may have been ill and needs a weight gain program. It has also been reported that this recipe will help with some forms of hair loss, such as when your dog(s) blow their coat, to keep the coat healthy and shiny. This recipe is entended to be fed raw.

10# hamburger meat
    1 jar wheat germ
    1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
    1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    10 eggs
    10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
    1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
    A pinch of salt
    1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
    (You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)

Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf....put into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed. It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat. You can use it every day when they have a show to do and it does not produce diarrhea. It can be fed alone or with kibble.
    The only thing i didnt like about the recipie is the sugar in the total cereal so if you think the same way i do then here is the recipie for a weight gain suppliment called fat balls... i know the names sound funny but they do usually work

1 lb ground beef
    1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
    1 jar all natural peanut butter
    1 jar (smaller of the sizes) wheat germ
    1 doz egg yolks
    1 cup or so of flaked oats soaked in heavy cream
    Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

I had success with bolth types using them to help a rottweiler and boxer to gain weight i hope i have helped you. good luck.. Just dont overfeed him check to see what a dog his size and age should weigh.. and watch the weight gain closely
    I'm not sure that giving a dog dairy products (cream cheese and heavy cream) is wise as they can cause diarrhea in some animals, which is not what you want when you're trying to add weight!

It's not really necessary to make such elaborate meals to add weight to a dog. Try feeding a high quality dry food made for active pets.

If the dog doesn't eat it well, try soaking it with warm water.
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2006, 02:36 PM
    http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm healthfood website tis where I found it

Oct 20, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44
    http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm healthfood website tis where i found it
    If it works for your pet, great. I'm just saying that it is not necessary to prepare such a meal when a good quality dry food will do the same and that dairy isn't so good for dogs. Why complicate the problem?
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2006, 02:43 PM
    *looks back at my post... * that is quite the amount now that I look at it. When I used it on my dog I didn't use it every day... You do have a point there. Thank you for pointing it out to me
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 22, 2006, 05:43 PM
    Pure dairy isn't good, but when mixed into a receipe like that one is fine. I would be concerned with heartworms, intestinal parasites, but even more bacterial infections from the chickens. If he has open wounds antibiotics may be warrented. Otherwise, placing a soaked, warm Chamomile tea bag on the areas will help help them more quick.
    DO NOT EVER let anyone tell you a store brand pet food is good enough!!
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryishaNelson
    I just saved a dog from someone who did not take care of him properly. He was killing their chickens and so they stuck him in a cage for god knows how long! He has scars and scabs on his head from hitting the top of the cage when he was jumping up in there. He is a 2 year old full blooded German Shepard and is very skinny! (You can see his ribs.) I already have a dog and thought that he would gorge on his food, but he doesn't. What can I feed to him to make him gain some weight and look healthy? Also, he is very aggressive towards cats and I have one. Does anyone have any ideas on how to curb that? I really don't want to get rid of him and I don't want to stress my cat out either!! Help!! Any serious inquiries would totally help me out! Thanks!!
    Well my friend has the same problem and she mixes hamburger with wet dog food and leaves the dog alone. The reason might be when it atacked the chickens it thought they were food and he got in trouble now that you are feeding him he thinks he might get in trouble so when he does eat give it lots of praise.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2006, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    Pure dairy isn't good, but when mixed into a receipe like that one is fine. I would be concerned with heartworms, intestinal parasites, but even more bacterial infections from the chickens. If he has open wounds antibiotics may be warrented. Otherwise, placing a soaked, warm Chamomile tea bag on the areas will help help them quicker.
    DO NOT EVER let anyone tell you a store brand pet food is good enough!!!!
    This post is 100 % nonsense. Millions of dogs are doing quite well on commercial dog chows including extreamly valuable service dogs I am very familiar with.

Oct 22, 2006, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doggie_poopie
    DO NOT EVER let anyone tell you a store brand pet food is good enough!!!!
    I disagree entirely.

I have raised and shown several breeds, both large and small in confirmation, obedience and agility. I have been a groomer for 20 years. So, in short, I have known many dogs in my lifetime and have heard (I think) almost every possible diet for dogs.

I understand that there are some dogs that have allergies and issues with certain foods and must avoid those certain foods, just as we humans sometimes do. But the blanket statement about 'store brand pet food' not being good enough really bothers me.

Now I would NEVER recommend a 'store brand' as in Wal-Mart/Sam's Choice/Generic type food. Maybe that's what you meant? If so, I agree!

But to say that a good quality dog chow (i.e.; Purina, Iams, Science Diet, etc) are not enough, is not really fair. Why encourage such complicated and (IMO) unnecessary recipes for a dog that would certainly do well if simply FED.

By the way, I think you are absolutely correct about looking FIRST for worms and other internal issues as a cause for his thinness and lack of hunger.:)
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 23, 2006, 07:59 PM
    That's exactly what I meant. If you go back and read the post it says "house brand". That is absolutely NEVER something any person should recommend to another as a quality diet for their pet.

I am really confused by many of the posts regarding food. Here's why I am confused- Do you agree that By-Product is as good as a whole meat or meal? Do you prefer to feed your dogs foods naturally perserved or ones loaded with additives? And do you agree that corn midlings, corn by products, corn gluten meal is a good filler? Or would actual whole grains and veggies be better?

The reason I ask is because if you read ingredient lists and do the research on the FDA, USDA, AAFCO websites, understand the difference between digestable proteins, the extruding process and learn what a feeding trial can and cannot do a person would make a reasonable choice that Ol'Roy is NOT and I repeat is NOT a quality food.

I make my recommendations on years of experience feeding ALL types of foods. Not just making a judgement on foods I have never tried. I go to meetings, lectures, conventions, and have discussed at length the topics I discuss. I promise you that if you do your own comparison you would agree the difference in your dog will be awesome!

I am sure as a groomer you have had many dogs with constant anal sac issues or chronic ear problems. I am not taking about a true food allergy, rather a food intolerance. They many be fine but once the threshold have been passed their body can not fight this off.

I was asked to give research and studies on the statements I make. When I did, I was still attacked. I have the right to my opinion, and one based on sound medical judgements through the veterinarians office where I work.

Now every time I answer a persons question here I feel that when I give the advice I am going to be lamblasted. You all have your opinions and I have mine.
    Thank you for your time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

German [ 5 Answers ]

How Do I Say : Hi, How Are You? In German

The german unificaton [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I want to know if the frankfurt parliament was a turning point to the german unification? Thx~!

German passport [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my name is {name removed}, I am an american citizen living in Australia. I am enquiring on obtaining a German Passport. My mother is a German and my entire family on my mother side live in Germany. I was born in the usa. When I was born my mother was a German citizen she was born in Germany....

Shepard Wolf Cross's crippling pain [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has a 7 year old shepard and wolf cross. For the past couple of years Kasper has been suffering from occasional, sometimes constant severe muscle pain that prevents him from standing and walking. It is especially bad in the hindquaters. He does not have hip displaysia. He's being...

German shepard [ 2 Answers ]

I have a german shepard that had pups two weeks ago, and she stopped feeding her pups, what do I do? I've never been through this and I am afraid for the pups. So if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thank you:confused:

View more questions Search