Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tennisyoung1 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 01:43 PM
    I could only snake in 18 inches in the sink pipe
    My two sinks in the two adjoining bathroom got blocked. First I tried Drano but it didn't work. I removed the P trap and other connecting pipes all the way to the wall. I then snaked it . I could only got in about 18 inches only. So I bought a drill drain snake. Again I could only ran in about 18 inches. I don't believe the snake got into the other side of the adjoining bathroom sink. I could feel the snake got in about 8 inches either up or down the pipe from the pipe sticking out of the wall. Then I could go no further after another 10 inches. What's blocking it? I checked my drill drain snake and it could go through 5 sheets of paper easily. Please help!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 01:47 PM

What diameter snake are you using?

Jul 26, 2009, 01:59 PM

1/4 inches and it's 20 ft long.

Jul 26, 2009, 02:01 PM

You may need to get on the roof and rod down the vent stack, for that you can go with a larger snake.

Jul 26, 2009, 02:15 PM

So you think my drill drain snake is too weak to unclog the block. Or could it be there's a curve or turn that's blocking my snake?

Jul 26, 2009, 02:18 PM

No not too weak but you could be hitting a T connection and never get through that. Without opening the walls to see exactly how this was plumbed your next best bet is the roof.

Jul 26, 2009, 02:36 PM

I got up the roof and checked the 3" dia. Vent stack. Isn't this the vent pipe connecting to the main pipe for tub and toilet discharge? You mean my snake could actually reach the block of the sink pipe from there? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisyoung1 View Post
    I got up the roof and checked the 3" dia. vent stack. Isn't this the vent pipe connecting to the main pipe for tub and toilet discharge? You mean my snake could actually reach the block of the sink pipe from there? Thanks.
    This might not be the correct vent if it's the only one on your roof.
    Sometimes our contract orders us to tie back,(revent) all the vents to one main vent through the roof up in the attic. If that's the case you'll need to call in outside help with a regular sewer machine. He will have to take it up into the attic, locate the lavatory vent from your bath and cut it loose from the vent through roof. He can then snake the lavatory drains that you couldn't reach. After, he will have to couple the vent back as it was. Do you see more then just that one 3" vent? Regards, tom

Jul 26, 2009, 04:13 PM

I saw another vent about 1" dia. It sticks out directly above the adjoining bathroom about 4' from the 3" vent. You mean I should go in from this vent and it could reach the block of the sink pipe?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Snake the smaller one and let me know. Good luck. Tom

Jul 26, 2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks. But what I don't understand is that I unclogged the same sink pipe about 6 months ago with Drano. What could have caused this tough clog?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 27, 2009, 03:46 AM
    Thanks. But what I don't understand is that I unclogged the same sink pipe about 6 months ago with Drano. What could have caused this tough clog?
    As a repair plumber I have never recommended using harsh chemicals. In your drainage system. Besides they only seem to work in TV commercials and when you try to remove the water you could burn your hands or damage your eyes. I prefer to snake a drain line
    Having said that your clog might have been a local clog in the lateral in the wall. This clog is farther down past the base of the stack and can only be reached from a roof vent. Good luck, Tom

Jul 27, 2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks. My sewage pipe machine is too heavy for me to carry up the roof. Will my 20' drill drain pipe reach this clog?

Sorry. I forgot to mention that the vent is about 15' from the ground.

Jul 27, 2009, 01:27 PM

Drill drain augers are a bit small in diameter for this kind of work.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Thanks. My sewage pipe machine is too heavy for me to carry up the roof. Will my 20' drill drain pipe reach this clog?

Sorry. I forgot to mention that the vent is about 15' from the ground.
    Only if the clog's at the very base and then it might so smsll it simply punches through.. You need a sewer machine,(see image) up on that roof. But before you go up on the roof I want you to look up in the attic for any vents that may be revented back to the 3" VTR. Just two roof vents doesn't sound right to me. There should be one 3 " main vent plus a washer vent, a vent for every bath room, a bar sink vent if you have one. Do you see where I'm going with this? If the vent you want is revented back in the attic there's a whole other procedure to go through. Good luck, Tom

Jul 29, 2009, 04:41 PM

You are absolutely right. I have a washer vent, a kitchen vent, a water heater vent, a central air vent on the other side of the roof. I believe the 3" vent directly above my bathroom in question is the main vent. There's a 1" vent directly above the other adjoining bathroom which you want me to snake in. Then there's two unidentifiable 4 to 5" covered vent about 8' from the 3" main vent , one on the right and one on the left. I have no idea whether the 1" vent was built for the shower in the adjoining bathroom or sinks for both adjoining rooms or both?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 29, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Snake the pipe that's closest to the two baths. Put out enough snake to reach the 15 feet to the base and 20 feet more to get out in the main. Good luck, tom

Jul 29, 2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks. I will try.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2009, 04:31 AM
    Please give us a update when you're finished. Good luck, Tom

Jul 31, 2009, 01:02 AM

I opened the built-in opening between the two adjoining wall and measured the length between them to be 8". So could it be possible that my snake went over the other side of the sink and got stuck at the P trap? Also I just found a 2" dia. Access hole at the bottom of the sink about 5 " above the floor and it's about 45 degree and 12" from the sink pipe sticking out of the wall where I put my snake in. Should I open this access hole and try to snake in from there?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snake stuck in drain pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I used a power snake with 1/2 in cable, went in 10 - 15 feet and it wouldn't go an further. Now the snake won't go in or out. How can I get it out. I bought a retrieval tool with a 3/8 inch cable. How do I use it.

How do I use an electric pipe snake [ 9 Answers ]

I have got a clog in my main drain. All my sinks back up into my shower. The toilet is fine though. I have a stand up shower only, so I don't have an over flow hole. I have tried everything so I am going to rent a snake. Can I put the snake right through the drain in my shower? And since it isn't...

2 inches drain pipe for basement toilet. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 inches pipe for basement toilet drain.this is a new house.I want to put a tiolet.since the plumbing is for the toilet drain is 2 inches,will I have any problems for draining? Also will I have to install a an injection pump?

Dropped snake in vent pipe! [ 7 Answers ]

In attempting to clear a vent stack pipe to solve gurgling toilet, my snake got away from me and now is at the bottom of the stack pipe. What is the easiest way to retrieve this? Help, Slippery fingers - Cliff

Snake stuck in sewer pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I rented the large electric snake to clean the roots out of the pipe and the snake is now stuck. I have rented the snake before and have been very successful never had this problem. Any ideas.

View more questions Search