Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldenj1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Stepdad rights
    In New york do I have any rights to make decision on my 16 year old step daughters life.who she can see where she lives what time she should be home at night etc etc thanks I can really use help here.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 12:29 PM

Well, I will assume you did not adopt the child. The parent who you live with is the one to make the rules, they should discuss it with you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2009, 03:08 PM

First please pay more attention to posting rules. There is a sticky at the top of the Children forum (where this was moved from) that directs question of a legal nature here.

As Chuck noted, you have very little rights as a step parent. If she refuese to obey your rules there is little you can do.

Where is her mother in all this?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2009, 03:29 PM

No, step parents (while sometimes more help than the bio ones) have no legal right to the child. It will be up to her mother and father to give her those rules. If you are the step father it will be up to her mother to decide when and where she goes and for how long if you are the step mother then it will be up to her father. While I would assume the parent would consult you (being that you are married and that is generally what married people do) you have no rights on her.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 04:23 PM

Can you explain more about your situation ? Are you making decisions in your partners absence ? Or are you both co-parenting the child ?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Not unless you've been named guardian by the court.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    Not unless you've been named guardian by the court.
    The right to decision making can come from either parent independent of the courts. The parent of the child can grant guardianship in their absence. Just like would happen should your child be on a field trip or at the babysitters.

You need to be more careful how you word things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dumbass Stepdad [ 6 Answers ]

My mom just recently got married to a complete j***a** and I HATE HIM. He always looks at me wrong and I feel very insecure at my own home and it needs to end. I have tried talking to my mom about it but she always just yells at me to mind my own business. He only uses my mom for sex and money,...

What do you think of my stepdad? Trying to get to know me better or just being a perv [ 35 Answers ]

Me my sister and my mom have lived with my step dad for about a month now. And personally I think he's kind of creepy. And I don't know whether he's trying to get to know me better or just being perverted. Like two weeks ago he sat next to me on the couch and started making conversation, which...

Mom died stepdad try to screw me over [ 3 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My mom passed away 12 years ago. About 5 years later the state sent me papers saying I had back child saport from my real dad . But I had to open a astate for her I tried but he said he wonted half. He was only my...

Drinking with stepdad [ 46 Answers ]

I am 16 and my mom is going out of town this weekend. My stepdad told me that if I wanted, he would get beer and I could see what it is like to drink alcohol. He says it's better to experiment in a safe environment instead of at a party or something where someone could take advantage of me when I'm...

Bio dad is out of the pic, can stepdad adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

HI. I got divorced a few years ago. My ex and I had two children together. After the divorce he saw the kids twice. Now he has not seen them in 17 months, or had any communication with them in 12 months! We do not have his address, phone number, or any info about him anymore. He has not paid child...

View more questions Search