Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boddington Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Loney(self diagnosed)guinnea pig,can he have a bunny pal?
    Hello,
    I hope someone can help me. We had a g.pig for our son. He lives in the house and seems fine. However (I hold my hands up) I didn't do any research before buying him (we went to fetch a goldfish) The pet shop lady said he'd be fine on his own in the house.I looked into the care of the pig once we had him home and found that they love company. We tried him for a couple of months (the children never leave him alone and he seemed happy enough) when he got to about 7/8 months he became mopey. Now I put this down to him being lonely for another pig. I went to pet shop - the chap had a male baby pig - I said that I'd read they wouldn't get along and he assured me he puts all his new pigs together and never has any problems but would take the new pig back if they didn't get on. So £100 lighter with new bigger house cage and pig we introduced them in the new cage - fantastically happy pigs. However after a several weeks they started fighting and once they'd started they didn't stop. So unfortunately we had to take the new pig back. Now our pig is mopey again - I don't want babies so don't want a female pig and I won't have another male. (my loyalties lie with Ned)

I am thinking of getting a dwarf female rabbit as a friend advised me that's what she has done in the past but I'd prefer more than 1 sample of a success story) Ned - the pig - is exceptionally large. We are in the process of building a 3 storey outside pen(cage/whatever they are called haha) Do you think it would be OK to get a female rabbit and move them outside so they are in new teritory (and quite honestly I don't want to buy another bigger indoor cage as we'll have to move to the shed to accommodate the animals soon plus husband has refused to spend any more money on ''that blinking rat''. (maybe I will move hubby out?haha).

Anyone got any tips or ideas? Please
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 09:17 AM

Hi Boddington.

Many people have had success keeping Guineas and rabbits together, but it's not recommended.

Rabbits and pigs have very different dietary needs, it's hard to keep their food separate when they're housed together and this can lead to health problems.

Also, rabbits tend to like their own kind. It's not a guarantee that the rabbit you get will bond with Ned.

I've had rabbits all my life, I've also successfully had rabbits and Guineas together, but looking back I wouldn't do it again.

Another concern with the rabbit would be behavior once it hits sexual maturity. If you get a younger rabbit all may go well until around the 6 month mark, then things could go terribly wrong. I always recommend getting rabbits spayed or neutered, it prolongs their life and makes them much nicer pets, however, it can be expensive and it can also be very hard to find a vet the specializes in rabbits.

I'm pretty certain that Ned didn't like the new pig because it was also male.

I don't know if you can spay or neuter pigs, I can't see why not though. Why not look into getting a female and having Ned neutered?

Good luck.

Also, we love pictures. Hint, hint. :)
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 28, 2009, 08:57 AM
    It''s fine to introduce a rabbit to a guinnea pig.

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyluo1999 View Post
    It''s fine to introduce a rabbit to a guinnea pig.

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    Please cite the research you've done or the books you've read that support this.

Do you have experience in this area? Have you raised rabbits and guineas together?

I'd like to see the proof to your claim.

Jul 28, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Please cite the research you've done or the books you've read that support this.

Do you have experience in this area? Have you raised rabbits and guineas together?

I'd like to see the proof to your claim.
    My friend has a bunny and a guinea pig together and they're fine.

Joy
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyluo1999 View Post
    My friend has a bunny and a guinea pig together and they're fine.

Joy
    If you read my first post, I've also housed guineas and bunnies together, and they were fine as well, but research has shown that it's not a good idea, and I cited the reasons.

If you're going to go against educated advice then you have to have a better reason then "my friends did it and it's fine" because there are many things that, although a bad idea, work out okay for some people but are disastrous to the majority.

There are many pet experts on this site, we do our very best to give accurate, researched advice, not guesses.

Okay? :)

Jul 28, 2009, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    If you read my first post, I've also housed guineas and bunnies together, and they were fine as well, but research has shown that it's not a good idea, and I cited the reasons why.

If you're going to go against educated advice then you have to have a better reason then "my friends did it and it's fine" because there are many things that, although a bad idea, work out okay for some people but are disastrous to the majority.

There are many pet experts on this site, we do our very best to give accurate, researched advice, not guesses.

Okay? :)
    Kay.
    urbancowgirl7 Posts: 84, Reputation: 4

Aug 2, 2009, 08:33 PM
    I've never housed a pig and a bunny together, but I have rasied both male and female of both... I've had both good and bad experiences. One of the female piggies I had and the female rabbit I had bonded one day when we were cleaning out their cages and they were best friends from that point on. If they didn't get to spend time together, they'd get really sad and depressed and when we they saw each other they'd both get really excited and snuggle and lick each others faces... it really was adorable. However, none of the males seemed to get along with each other or the females as well as the females did with each other and the female bunny didn't get along with any of the other female pigs we had... They have relationships just like people do. Sometimes they bond and sometimes they don't.
    handyamby Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Aug 10, 2009, 08:09 PM

I had a similar situation where I was given a male gp due to fighting pigs, and he needed a friend. I then found a neutered male rabbit that needed a home and introduced them, They get along well but I do have a low enclosure for the pig to hide from the rabbit just in case. I suppose the best thing is to have another pig with your pig but that could prove very difficult trying to find a "match" so to speak. I would say if the "expert" has tried it, and successfully, it might be worth a try. It worked out well for me.
    Oh and you could try some other animal. When I was eight, I got a baby duck, who came to live with our gp's. They loved each other. But again not expert advice, just saying you could chance it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Diagnosed with hyperthyroid [ 3 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid about 6 months ago, and had the iodine radiation treatment in February. For the last couple of months I feel like a different person and my doctor told me that my thyroid is "hypo" now and has given me the Synthroid tabs once a day. Its been 2 months, and still...

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD. [ 39 Answers ]

Hi everyone. Most of you know me, know that I have two wonderful children, a son that just turned 10 today, and a daughter who is 6. Well, happy birthday to my little Jared, today at school he was analyzed by a psychologist. Some background on Jared, he's been in speech therapy since he was...

My brother has just been diagnosed with ADHD [ 3 Answers ]

My father died easter Monday 2006. My brother is 7 and I am 32. I have dealt with my lose because my father and I have had a very disruptive relationship (he left my mum when I was 1). My brother has had my dad with him since he was born. My stepmum has had my brother at the shrink for a couple of...

RSD-- my 12 yr old sister was just diagnosed [ 3 Answers ]

My little sister was diagnosed with RSD a few weeks ago. She had been in severe pain for over a month and could not walk because the pain was so bad. It started with just a spot in her leg and within a week or two it spread from her foot to the top of her hip. She went to doctor after doctor and...

Son diagnosed deaf at 17 months [ 4 Answers ]

My little son of 17 months was diagnosed deaf where from here? We do not have a medical aid how do I start a fund for him? :confused:

View more questions Search