Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    C8CHOATE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Adopting step children
    I really need help with this one. My children's egg donor has not been around in 2 years or paid child support. Where or how would I start on seeing about adopting them.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 19, 2006, 01:14 PM
    If you are married and the children have your last name, you already have custody. If the child still has the father's last name, it may be up to him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Assuming you are married to the children's other parent, the parent you are married too will have to file a motion to take away the rights of the other parent, and you will have to file a motion to adopt.

The other parent will have to be notified and have a right to object and present evidence as to why they don't want.

In general if they object, the judge will pospon it at least to see if he will keep in contact. If this is connected to your other question and they are in jail, a lot will depend on why, how long and still the persons desire to stay the parent
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Petition the court for an order of adoption. The court will try to track down the "egg donor" (or make you do it) to get her consent. If all reasonable avenues become exhausted and she is nowhere to be found, then the court should be able to let the adoption proceed without her consent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting 23 year old step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Can my partner adopt my 23 year old daughter as this is her wish, she has no relationship with her birth father any more my partner and I have lived together with my daughter for 10 years, please help :confused:

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

How to go about adopting... [ 3 Answers ]

Where do you begin to adopt a child? What is the best route? My life partner & I want a baby to love. We are not legally "partners"/ or married as of yet. Should I go about this as single before we legalize? I don't know legally how we can go about this, what the laws are in Fla. In a...

About adopting another cat [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, For a couple of weeks now, my in-laws have noticed a big male cat ( not neutered yet ) running free in their neighborhood. They asked if the cat belonged to somebody. Nobody had seen that cat in the neighborhood before. They started feeding him : this cat is very affectionate. My...

Looking into adopting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my soon to be husband and I have been looking into adopting a child/newborn with down syndrome has anyone done this or have a child with downs we are just starting to look into this we would like to adopt after we get married! We both have a lot of expereince working with children youth etc with...

View more questions Search