Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tufftts69 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Bank Account frozen on Unemployment
    Information needed..
    My estranged husband just found out that his bank account has been frozen due to a judgement awarded to Cohen and Slamowitz, that he didn't even realize was happening.. The only funds in there at the moment are unemployment benefits.. I already know that in NYS they can't take Pub asst, SSI, SSD, unemployment benefits, etc..

He never knew or understood that they were going for a judgement, as they never billed him, just sent him a supoena this past April ( almost 7 years after him not paying) that actually looked fake and didn't even have a date to reply on it... Nothing from a court..

He made the bad mistake of taking on a CC that even though he hardly used it, and did have disability ins on it, this all turned turned bad with the CC company when he went out on disability and didn't notify them for a couple of months.. He tried to keep up the payments, but they had processing fees etc that were high, and renewal fees etc ( he actually never charged over $200 on it, the rest was all their fees.. So after a few months, decided to use the disability insurance...

Needless to say, the disability insurance was also being paid their payment automatically on the CC, so it went on to to accumulate over the limit fees and late fees.. When he could not make the payments anymore, he called and said he was out of work on disability and wanted to use the insurance that the CC company TOLD him to purchase.. They refused to pay anything because he had waited a couple of months to call them, they then said there was a limit to how long you had from when you were taken out of work before you called them in to pay the bills.. Since he paid the bill a few months before calling he went over the time limit..

He got mad and refused to pay anything.. Told them to cancel the CC.. That happened almost 7 years ago..

Now they, (cohen and Slam whatever) say that he has accumulated almost $1,000 in debit... They froze his account for over $2,000...

The bill was originally about $400 and most of it was charges made by the CC companyand payments for the disability ins through the cc company..
    They have added interest, late fees, RENEWAL FEES, etc.. Now also lawyers fees...

How do they get away with all this and why now after all this time?? Is it legal and what can he do.. He can't afford a lawyer...
    How can he get a copy of the judgement against him? I had him try the bank and the City Clerk and they said for him to get it from Cohen and Slamowitz...
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Go to the court see if a judgment was awarded to them, if not file Motion to Quash the garnishment.

Oct 19, 2006, 12:54 PM
    He called the court and the clerk said that papers were filed, not that the judgement went through.. so if that's the case how did the bank account get frozen?
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 01:08 PM
    If no judgment has been awarded file Motin to Quash the garnishment, and file Motion to Dismiss, lack of proper service.

Oct 26, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    If no judgment has been awarded file Motin to Quash the garnishment, and file Motion to Dismiss, lack of proper service.
    The court clerks won't tell him anything or answer any questions.. They told him to get a lawyer and let him handle it.. He can't afford a lawyer, shouldn't he be able to get info about this from them without a lawyer? Or do they know someone somewhere did something wrong and are trying to stall so as to not get into trouble?
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Go Back To The Court Ask For A Copy Of The Alleged Claim Against You, If They Refuse Ask To Speak Directly To The Clerk Of The Court. Now Demand A Copy Of This Alleged Claim.

Oct 26, 2006, 12:00 PM
    The clerks at this city hall leave much to be desired.. They told him what I stated above and the head clerk wouldn't even get on the phone with him! He heard her relaying the message in the background.. Just telling the clerk on the phone to tell him to call a lawyer... She wouldn't even get on the phone..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Judgement [ 10 Answers ]

Last week I discovered that my bank account was 0. I called my bank and they explained that I had a legal judgement against my account for debt collection. I have an appointment with an attorney later this week but cannot cash my paycheck at my bank as they will force deposit it into my account to...

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Frozen bank acct [ 5 Answers ]

My bank acct was frozen by a debt collector but I don't have the money to pay it off now, the debt collector told me I could make a payment arrangement with them but my unemployment check is not enough for me to start paying off my debt and he told me there's interest building on the debt everyday...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Checking account frozen [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My mother had her bank account frozen due to her credit card situation. Where can she cash her Social Security checks, Thanks

View more questions Search