Ask
    Ed Olson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 10:03 PM
    Cassette to Laptop
    What hardwar is available to copy cassettes tapes to my laptop
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Jul 25, 2009, 11:42 PM

Video or audio cassettes?

With video cassettes you will need a video player and probably a USB video capture device (many include the necessary cables and software). Check the device's requirements carefully, since video capture is demanding on the computer's clock speed and USB port. Be aware that pre-recorded video tapes (movies and TV shows) often included Macrovision "quality control" rights management "feature" to inhibit copying. Retail DVDs may have similar provisions.

If the laptop is equipped with a "line in" jack you will need a cassette player, a stereo audio cable with plugs on both ends and recording software to record audio to the hard drive. You may need an attenuator from a consumer electronic retailer if your laptop is only equipped with a microphone jack. Some of the video capture devices can be connected to line out jacks on stereos and cassette players for audio capture.

Remember that use of pre-recorded material like audio cassettes and material you recorded off broadcast sources is limited to you and people listening or viewing in a private home (or privately operated vehicle) entertainment situation. In many jurisdictions you aren't allowed to retain your hard drive, CD-R or MP3 player (including Ipods) copies after your have transferred ownership of the source media to another person. There may be additional limitations to material you downloaded from online sources.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cassette on to laptop [ 1 Answers ]

I want to Put audio cassettes on to my laptop from a cassette player I have the cable and my laptop has a line in socket head phone and mic socket help please

Cassette to CD Transfer! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Is there a way to use your desk top computer to transfer information from cassette to CD? :confused: or do your have to buy some type of computer add-on. Thanks :) Sylvia

Cassette Player to Laptop recording [ 2 Answers ]

I very much want to convert all the music in my audio tapes to digital format in my laptop & eventually store them in CDs. My laptop has only a microphone socket , no line-in socket. I tried to record by connecting the headphones socket on the cassette player to the mic socket on the laptop using a...

C 90 Cassette [ 2 Answers ]

How do you differentiate the hub counter on a cassette counter with time. Thus forming an equation to exact the time remaining via the tape counter.

Cassette to CD [ 1 Answers ]

I record my own music on small cards and cassettes. How would I transfer this music to a CD using the Rozio program that is on my computer?

View more questions Search