Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UniQQ Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2006, 11:44 AM
    7 year old pit bull
    Hi. My name is Brad and I'm new here.
    I have a question about my 7 year old pitbull. He is in heat because we have a 9 month old girl who just started her period. My question is. What do I do if my dog will not eat while in heat? I know the vet is the best thing to do but I just had spine surgery and I can not afford it right now and I'm not strong enough to take him myself.
    Thank you for your time

Brad
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

Over feeding can add to the problem. See http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx

And please, when you literally get back on your feet, get them to the vet and have them spay/neutered. Expect a great challenge out of them to get together and produce an unwanted litter. Nine months is much too young to be mated.
    UniQQ Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2006, 12:27 PM
    thank you so much. Will do that >=o) thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search