Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 11:43 AM
    The dark day that just passed...
    Hello rightless people:

Two days ago, your rights were stolen from you, like a thief in the night. Unbelievably, I'm the only one who noticed.

You say that the recent tribunal law only applies to aliens, that it DOESN'T apply to Americans. To that, I say, BUNK!

As it stands now, the president or his secretary of defense or their designates, can declare YOU to be an enemy combatant, and wisk you off to some CIA prison in Budapest.

Yes, you are an American held illegally. But, without the right to challenge your imprisonment (habeas corpus), who are you going to complain to?

As it stands NOW, we are at the mercy of the president. I know, I know, you say we can trust him. To that, I say BUNK!

Previous to the dark day that just passed, we didn't HAVE to trust him. We didn't remain free because he's a benevolent guy. We remained free because we HAD rights. Now we don't!

Tell me I'm wrong. But I am NOT.

excon
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Please cite something that we can read to see the details verbatum. I'm not doubting you, just wanting to see the details "from the horse's mouth" for myself before commenting.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Are you referring to the habeas corpus issue? It's been discussed in many places, just not here.

Edit: Olbermann's take is excellent: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xUzUljH8EHU
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Hello again:

Yes, the habeas corpus, military tribunal law signed two days ago into law.

excon

PS> Olberman is on the cutting edge. He sees things.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 12:25 PM
    It seems know one is watching, they have been slowly eroding our rights for the last 12 years. People you need to wake up and pay attention.

Neocons are stealing everything they can from you!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 02:12 PM
    For reference, this is the Military Commissions Act of 2006: H.R.6166.

Here is the actual bill:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/.../~c109N4cPjh::
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2006, 04:56 PM
    I for one wrote to my senators about this bill. I did not bother writing to my congressman (Peter King) because he's a rubber stamp for Bush. He thinks racial profiling is OK and supported this bill. I am staunchly supporting his opponent (Dave Mejias) who does not support this erosion of our rights.

If you believe, as I do, that the Republicans are using 9/11 to suborn the Constitution and take away rights from Americans, then you should be voting against them next month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother passed/now feel like she may be watching over me [ 14 Answers ]

Okay everyone, this is going to be a really long post, so get ready. When I was 12 yr.'s old my mother passed away from a brain aneurism. I did not grieve at all afterwards, I guess mainly because I wanted to shut it out of mind at the time (which I now know is normal, especially at the age). ...

Dog passed away [ 2 Answers ]

My dog reccey passed away 4 weeks ago.he was always a big eater.he had his shots,then he started losing weight,he went from 14 to 9 pounds in 3 weeks.he would paw at his mouth when he tried to eat.sometimes he would paw at his mouth when I would just show him food.he was vomiting a clear liquid.his...

Father passed [ 9 Answers ]

My father passed this life on Jan 2, I was with him at his passing. He went down hill quickly since Thanksgiving. At that time he could still walk across the floor, but Christmas he was confined to his bed. His passing was peaceful in his sleep. He will truly be missed.

View more questions Search