Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Medication for Candida after antibiotic treatment
    Hello,
    Recently my daughter (6) had strep throat. Shortly after, my son (3), my husband, and I all had strep throat and the whole family was on antibiotics.
    My son was the first one to show signs of oral yeast. The Dr. prescribed him Nistatin swish and swallow. Although it helped, it did not cure it completely.
    Now we all have this yuck white stuff in our mouths
    Could this be because we were all on antibiotics? Or does it spread from person to person?
    Also today, my eyes feel "slimy" and my nose and throat feel strange (kind of like a dull, burning sensation and my daughter had a white patch on her gum line, it was bleeding a little after she brushed her teeth... Could this be from the yeast spreading?
    We all have an apt Monday morning to go back to the family Dr. for the 3rd time.
    So, my question is... Does anyone know what type of prescriptions we need to finally be rid of this? I'm unfortunately asking because I don't trust that the Dr. is going to prescribe us medication that will end this once and for all. He tends to treat one thing at a time, that then turns into something else, that other problems or illnesses results from after treatment, then treats part of the illness, meanwhile things untreated spread to other people, get worse, and cause other illnesses... I've questioned him on this before, and he said that he does it that way because he doesn't want his patients to build immunities to the medications... Well, at this point... I just want everything to go away... We've been dealing with strep throat and it's after affects for 2 months or more now.
    I would love to be able to request the needed medication(s), rather than to let him decide. We'll all be on the Nistatin swish and swallow, it won't work, then we'll end up having to go back...
    I wish I could change Dr. but he's the only one that is affordable enough (but still expensive) to go to as we have no health insurance.
    Any suggestions??
    Kae
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 19, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Kae, there are a B*&*load of meds out there for candida of the mouth. You should discuss with your doctor that Nystatin is not working for you. You should ask for a different antifungal medication as this particular one is not working for you.

Now, I will agree with the doc in that he likes to treat one thing at a time. Many people do not get oral yeast infections (candida, thrush) with antibiotics. If he prescribes a medication that is not necessary you WILL build up an immunity. He only needs to prescribe meds for the symptoms that are currently present. Prescribing any med for a symptom that is not present sets you up for a lifelong immunity. Therefore, it will end up strengthening the particular pathogen if that pathogen is passed on to another person. He is practicing VERY good medicine in this aspect.

The more we take a particular medicine, the more prone we are to becoming immune or illiciting an allergic response. Therefore, you only take the med if you actually need it.

You may be passing this strep throat throughout your family in ways that you do not know. Use lysol to spray the phones, your entire family must get new toothbrushes and toothpaste, spray the interior of your car with lysol, wash pillow cases in hot water. These are just simple ways that strep can spread.

It sounds as though you may already be immune to whatever antibiotic the doc has prescribed for you. May I ask what it is? You need to make sure you take the meds for the entire prescribed amount of time. If you stop before the 10 days, or whatever was prescribed, is up, then you run the risk of the bacteria getting stronger and immune to the particular med that you have been prescribed. Just because you feel better does not mean that the bacteria is gone.

In all, your doctor is really doing the right thing in your best interest in treating you the way he is. You just may have a med resistant infection due to not taking the med long enough, (that does not necessarily mean you, but could be because the person that infected you did not take the med long enough). Clean your house top to bottom, including your car. This form of bacteria does live outside the body for some time and you can re-infect yourselves without realising that you have.

I hope this helps.
    J
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 08:57 PM
    Hi J,
    Thank you so much for your response.
    My daughter was given Zithromax Z-PAK,
    My son was given Cefzil. He had a really bad allergic reaction (red rash, whelps, and blotchy skin over entire body with difficulty breathing), he was then switched to Azithromycin. Shortly after he developed this white film around his inner lips which spread to his tongue and they gave him the Nystatin for that.
    My husband was given (Clairmicin?? ).
    And I was given Ketek Pak. ( after I was done with that med, I had the worst vaginal yeast infection of the century:eek: Monistat 1 didn't cure it. I was due for a pap, so I went to the Gyn. They told me to use a 3 or 7 day cream and gave me a prescription for a different cream as a back up plan. I think it's gone, but I still feel "abnormal there" along with yuck feeling eyes, nose and throat.
    I know he's practicing safe medicine, and that's not a bad thing...
    But I have never known, in all my life, for it to take so long for people to get better.
    I didn't know that strep throat required special cleaning... But, I have that kitten with the wound that's healing... And because of that, I've been mopping my floors with the concentrated Lysol (brown bottle, smells like hospitals), and cleaning counters, toilets, and sinks with cleaner w/bleach spray... These have been my regular cleaning products since she was hurt, could a virus become tolerant to cleaners?
    I've sprayed the house w/ the clorox brand disinfectant (is Lysol spray more effective?), but more or less it was directed in the air..?. and I didn't do my car.
    I wash my sheets in cold water and add a little bleach then put them in the dryer on the hottest heat setting..?.
    I did get new tooth brushes, but some of us were still on antibiotics??
    And the toothpaste never crossed my mind either...
    Is it possible to catch the same strep virus over?
    My daughter has had strep in the past and no one else ever got it, and we never had problems making it go away... Different strand maybe??
    I'm just so ready for this to be over... I guess this all could possibly be the result of not cleaning properly...
    Could this white mouth stuff actually be strep?
    It bothers me that the apt isn't until Monday... No one has fevers, but I think I'm a little worried... Thanks again J...
    Kae
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    Hi J,
    Thank you so much for your response.
    My daughter was given Zithromax Z-PAK,
    My son was given Cefzil. He had a really bad allergic reaction (red rash, whelps, and blotchy skin over entire body with difficulty breathing), he was then switched to Azithromycin. Shortly after he developed this white film around his inner lips which spread to his tongue and they gave him the Nystatin for that.
    My husband was given (Clairmicin???).
    and I was given Ketek Pak. ( after I was done with that med, I had the worst vaginal yeast infection of the century:eek: Monistat 1 didn't cure it. I was due for a pap, so I went to the Gyn. They told me to use a 3 or 7 day cream and gave me a prescription for a different cream as a back up plan. I think it's gone, but I still feel "abnormal there" along with yuck feeling eyes, nose and throat.
    I know he's practicing safe medicine, and thats not a bad thing...
    But I have never known, in all my life, for it to take so long for people to get better.
    I didn't know that strep throat required special cleaning...But, I have that kitten with the wound thats healing...And because of that, I've been mopping my floors with the concentrated Lysol (brown bottle, smells like hospitals), and cleaning counters, toilets, and sinks with cleaner w/bleach spray...These have been my regular cleaning products since she was hurt, could a virus become tolerant to cleaners?
    I've sprayed the house w/ the clorox brand disinfectant (is Lysol spray more effective?), but more or less it was directed in the air...???... and I didn't do my car.
    I wash my sheets in cold water and add a little bleach then put them in the dryer on the hottest heat setting...???...
    I did get new tooth brushes, but some of us were still on antibiotics???
    And the toothpaste never crossed my mind either...
    Is it possible to catch the same strep virus over?
    My daughter has had strep in the past and no one else ever got it, and we never had problems making it go away...Different strand maybe???
    I'm just so ready for this to be over...I guess this all could possibly be the result of not cleaning properly...
    Could this white mouth stuff actually be strep?
    It bothers me that the apt isn't until Monday...No one has fevers, but I think I'm a little worried...Thanks again J...
    Kae
    Here we go... Kae, I am curious why every person in your family got prescribed a different medication. Is EVERYONE allegric to penicillin? This is by far one of the best antibiotics for strep throat, with the least amount of side-effects if you are not allergic. However, if allergic you must stay away from every med that ends in -cillin.

Let's start with the ZPak... it is what is called a "big gun," or broad spectrum antibiotic, meaning it is given usually when they don't exactly know what the infection is. This is what drugs/com states about Zithromax:

"Zithromax is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as respiratory infections, skin infections, ear infections, and sexually transmitted diseases. Zithromax may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide."

So, I tend to think that there are better antibiotics on the market for strep than the ZPak.

Now, on to Cefzil... It what is called a 2nd generation cephalosporin. This particluar cephalosporin is used to treat (Quoted from Mosby's 2007 Nursing Drug Reference Guide) Pharyngitis/tonsilllitis, otitis media (inner ear infection), secondary bacterial infection of acute bronchitis, and acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections, and acute sinusitis. So, here too I beleve there are better, stronger antibiotics for your son's strep.

(Clairmicin?? ) Could it be clarithromycin? If so, here we go... this is used to treat, again quoting from Mosby's, Mild to moderate infections of the upper respiratory tract, lower respiratory tract, uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections caused by (in my own words here, cause what Mosby's says would be hard to understand) many organisms, but none of the organisms listed is of the streptococcus variety. So, again, a better antibiotic could be used.

Last, but not least, Ketek Pak, otherwise known as telithromycin. It's uses, according to my Mosby's are for acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic brinchitis cause by Streptococcus pneumoniae, Hameophilus influenzae. Acute bacterial sinusitis caused by S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae.
    So, yet again, I am sure there is a better antibiotic for this.

Now, when I look up Strep throat in my Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professionals I find the following:

"Interventions: Treatment usually includes intramuscular injection of penicillin G benzanthine or the administration of penicillin for 10 days. Erythromycin may be given to people allergic to penicillin. For recurrent infections, tonsillectomy may be recommended."

While I agree that your doctor is doing right by treating each symptom only as they rear their ugly little heads, I am curious why he is treating each person with a different antibiotic, some which seem to be less effective than others. Unless you all have specific allergies. This is a question that you really should ask him about.

As for your particular situation: 20 years ago I worked for a woman whose family had strep throat for 3 months. After a prayer one day in which she asked God to help her family get healthy she got this FANTASTIC idea to spray the car with Lysol. One week later they were all better and never had strep again!! She said she never thought of the car, but it is in closed quarters where everybody breathes! :rolleyes:

And Lysol is the best cleaning solution and spray around. When cleaning counters and such, pour it on and spread around with a paper towel, do not dry, let it air dry. This is called Aseptic technique and is done in labs. The process of air drying kills more bacteria.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

J
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Hi J,
    Yes, Unfortunately, My husband and I both developed an allergy to penicillin when we were very young. Both my children also developed the allergy after being treated with Amoxicillin a few times when they were infants/toddlers.
    My son had never been on Cefzil before (but could have been on one in the same class possibly which led to this allegy).
    It is quite confusing, as you can see, with all the different medications...
    My doctor explained it to me as "taking steps up the medication latter". Taking each person, looking at where they are in the latter, the prescribing them medication accordingly - that's why were all on different medications. (and I know he's not wrong for doing so, I know it's a very good practice of medicine) I should not have criticized him in the OP. Just frustrated with the situation. It feels never ending... My son has a fever as of today...
    I bought Lysol spray today and sprayed the cars (and everything else in sight) LOL... It will probably go away now...
    Thanks again for all the help
    Kae
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Hey, that is what we are here for. I really hope for your sake that it goes away soon. I know this can be frustrating.

I assumed that you were allergic, but had to ask anyway.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Well, as it turns out... we have oral thrush - yuck!!
    My son also has an ear infection, probably due to the irritation in his nose and throat area.
    We are all on Nystatin in the form of lozenges and swish and swallow.
    And my son also on another round of Azithromycin.
    We were told to eat lots of yogart...
    So... me, Lysol and Yoplait are new best friends... LOL
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Thrush is not a serious condition. Thrush can be developed because of taking certain type of anihalers for asthma. I have had it as well because of it. It is not really painfull. Now with a little baby, public nurse is treating a bum rash as a yeast infection and said that the baby has thrush inside his mouth. Have not had it confirmed with the doctor yet. It is not stopping the baby from eating. He eats like a little piglet. Very healthy except for the diaper rash which is very common and an apparent thrush according to the nurse. The thing is that the white coating or white areas on his gums were there since he was born and all the check ups showed nothing out of the ordinary. Now the public nurse is saying he has thrush at 3 weeks old. Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

I kind of doubt it.

Joe
    Expert

Oct 23, 2006, 02:58 PM
    If he is breast fed, thrush is very normal.

As for the diaper rash. Common Corn Starch. Put it on instead of Desatin and in place of baby powder. Will dry it right up!!

Kae, yes yogurt is good. It replaces the good bacteria that the antibiotics killed.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Joe, your new baby is so cute... I hope he's doing well.
    Thanks J for helping me keep my sanity through all this.
    Kae
    jaxie Posts: 148, Reputation: 4

Apr 17, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Joeit is true when the baby comes out of the canal and yeast is in the vagina and the baby has its mouth open they get thrush or yeast of the mouth. I know my son got it I noticed it a week not even after birth and they treated him funny they never treat the mom though as someone else had said somewhere else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it bad to use antibiotic ointment? [ 12 Answers ]

I am using antibiotic ointment on my face due to breakout:confused: because my skin type is sensitive, so it breakout very easily:o . When I use antibiotic ointment my skin does not break out:p but I don't know whether I have to keep use it or not.

Qd All medication [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about the medication QD All?

Medication [ 2 Answers ]

What is chlorpheniramine maleate 12 mg

Candida vaginitis & mono [ 2 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. I have a 10 year old daughter who was just diagnosed with mono. Later that day she told me she had discharge which appears to be a yeast infection. There is some redness and some itching but no odor. Can mono cause vaginal yeast infection? Kjones

Good antibiotic pill form for ance. [ 3 Answers ]

Besides accutane, which is given to those only with severe acne, are there other pills that work as well that the doctor can give. My acne is bad but not so severe that the dr. will give me accutane. I need recommendations. Help...

View more questions Search