Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjhitch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Reconfigure router from satellite to dsl
    Currently have Satellite internet, now DSL is available and I am installing it. I have it installed successfully on the desktop. We have connected the router we were using with satellite and it will not work as is. I am assuming it needs to be reconfigured, but I have no idea how to do that. Can someone help?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhitch View Post
    Can someone help?
    Post the router and any other equipment brands and models and someone familiar with those products may respond. Nobody is going to guess at what you have.

A very general high level overly simplistic overview of some possible things that may need to occur is:
    1. Change router's external (WAN) interface card/port to match media format in which the DSL service is delivered (Ethernet?)
    2. Access router's administrative interface via web browser or telnet, and reconfigure external router interface to match parameters used by DSL telco:
    3. Secure router against unauthorized remote access.
    4. Work around any MAC address filtering or other strategies employed by the telco to limit or prevent use of multiple computers per DSL connection, 3rd party equipment not supplied by the telco, or enforce the purchased service plan.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 28, 2009, 04:18 PM

I have a Satellite Internet connection at my place in the country and cable Internet at home. My Satellite connection uses a fixed IP address and not DHCP.

Yours may have also been configured with a fixed address. If changing your WAN port to DHCP and rebooting the router does not do the trick then the easiest way to overcome a previous configuration that no longer applies is to reset your router. Reconfigure it using your quick setup guide that came with your router.

Before resetting your router, make a note of all of your current settings such as your wireless security configuration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to reconfigure my NETGEAR Router [ 2 Answers ]

My internet provider has confirmed with me that I have a successful internet connection (obviously, because I am writing this), but they tell me I have to Reconfigure my router and won't help me past that. I have a Netgear WGR614 v4 wireless router. I had some issues with my provider over the...

Reconfigure router [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone help me figure out how to reconfigure a NetGear FS 608 v3? Our routers went down last week and when we were again able to access the internet, the IP addresses had all been changed. We are no longer able to communicate with our printer. I know the router needs to be reconfigured but I...

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

Reconfigure a router [ 3 Answers ]

I recently lost the ability to connect my laptop to my network. Something happened to the main computer. I have been told that I need to reconfigure my router. I have a netgear router. I don't know the first thing about it. Help!

View more questions Search