Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candoval Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Who's responsible for smog check, seller or buyer in CA
    My parents bought a 2003 Kia Sedona from a private party about 2 weeks ago, not aware they were to get a smog certificate with the title to be able to register the vehicle. They are having problems getting it smogged for registration. The repairs that need to be done will run approximately $1500. My parents went back to the sellers and advised them they were having problems with the car and the sellers reply was "We sold it to you in good condition. Nothing was wrong with it." Is there anything my parents can do after 2 weeks of purchasing the car, to make the sellers responsible for the repairs and smog or give them some of the money back? I appreciate any feed back.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 01:54 PM

If you mean 'emission testing', which has to be done in Ontario by cert. mechanics in order to pass govt. requirements and get new stickers, then no, I don't see how they will be able to recoup any money. It isn't mechanical, so they are off the hook, I believe. Isn't it a govt. requirement in California ?

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 02:21 PM

I could not find the link to California law, but if the vechile was sold in California, the seller shouild be responsible for either telling you it will not pass or providing proof that it passed.

Was it bought "as is" which could mean it needs work.
    Bntherednthat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2016, 08:49 PM
    By law seller is responsible for the smog within 90 of the sell. If they bought it "as is" and did not get the smog cert from the seller they will not recoupe any of their money. Look up info on car before you buy because if you do not understand car facts in a case you can be screwed over. The lemon law only pertains to dealerships. Sorry your family has to go through this.

Sorry from
    Been there done that...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tax implications of a contract for deed for buyer and seller [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am looking to purchase a primary residence on a contract for deed basis. My understanding is that I, as the purchaser, would be able to write off the interest I pay on my yearly taxes. My question is, can the seller continue to write off the interest he is paying on the mortgage he...

Executor/Seller stalling closing; what can buyer do? [ 5 Answers ]

If a home seller, who is the estate executor, has signed a contract to close an 'as-is' sale in ninety days, but puts off a repair he has committed to until a date that would exceed the time limit of the contract, what can be done about it? The BUYER wants the house no matter what, so is there any...

Seller failure to disclose - buyer has proof [ 4 Answers ]

After we bought the house last November we found several problems with the house and we have proof ( one written, other verbal) that he knew about the following things: - previous termite infestations - his disclosure said there were none. We found the termite letter HE got when he bought the...

Private party used car seller, responsible for smog? [ 1 Answers ]

Am I responsible for the smog on a private party used car sell? I let them know up front it needs a tune up.. and that smog wasn't due until October. Aren't private party used car sells.. as is? Im in California.

I would like to know if the seller should be responsible? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased an older renovated home last year and I had major cracks (vertically and horizontally) throughout one of my rooms. I can also see that the floor is sinking. Looking closely I can tell that this had happened before and that it was patched up and never mentioned. The neighbour mentioned...

View more questions Search