Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LucyEJ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Pressure canning peas
    In pressure canning my peas I lost the water in the jars during the process. Will my can peas spoil? What should I do to stop this from happening again the first 3 batches came out fine it was the last batch that this happen to. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Lucy:)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 08:10 AM

I stopped pressure canning years ago and now use hot bath method, which probably takes longer but works just as good. Probably lost the water because the tops were not screwed on tight enough. Yes, sorry, but don't think your peas will survive.

Could you not blanch them and freeze in bags ? That is quicker and I think a better method.

Tick

Jul 25, 2009, 08:39 AM
    I don't have a big freezer and plus hubby doesn't like frozen peas. I love frozen peas would have a big freezer in a minute but we don't so I have to adjust. Thanks for your help though.
    Lucy

Jul 25, 2009, 08:39 AM
    I don't have a big freezer and plus hubby doesn't like frozen peas. I love frozen peas would have a big freezer in a minute but we don't so I have to adjust. Thanks for your help though.
    Lucy
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Your jars didn't seal, maybe you didn't wipe off the tops well enough.
    Freeze these peas for soup at a later date. Or redo them, they probably will be mushy, but you can use them for soup also and store them in the cabinet.

Make sure the top of jars aren't chipped, rings not rusted or bent and always use new seals. They are only good once for canning.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 12:27 PM

Peas put up with the hot bath or pressure cooker retain more benefits such as vitamins. I enjoy frozen though because, if done properly, are just as good as fresh.

Tick
    Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 12:43 PM

I guess your corn down there turned out pretty good. Ours has had far too much water. Everything is very flooded. Yes, I used to do corn too, used a bundt pan and put the corn in the middle and took it off the cob that way, then blanched and froze.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 12:52 PM

Great idea!
    Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Great idea!
    I wish I could send you down one of my old canning cookbooks from the early l900s. Lots of tips to shortcut and make canning easier, the way it had to be done to survive a winter in Upper Canada.

Getting hungrier tick
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Me too. My oldest one is from 1973 and I love it.
    I wouldn't have been able to part with a canning book from the 1900's even if I didn't can any more.

I do have a couple recipes from my Granny, but mostly pickling. She was a handful of this, a smidgen of that kind of cook and I think I'm slowly turning into that also.
    dlhbah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 08:31 AM
    Hi there! I have a similar issue/question - my peas didn't lose all the water, just some. This is my first time canning peas, so not sure if they are OK or not. The seal is in tact and has been, however the jars are not still full like they were before I put them in the canner. Does this mean my peas are spoiled?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canning pressure cooker vs hot water bath [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any reason why you can't use the pressure cooker vs the Hot water bath for canning fruits and jams

Pressure canning versus Hot water bath [ 3 Answers ]

I am canning some pickled green beans. I have always used the HWB method, but now I have a pressure canner. Boiling water 212' Pressure canner at 5 lbs pressure would be 228' is there any reason I couldn't do these green beans w/jars in the pressure canner?:confused: I can't seem to find...

I need a nickname! Peas and thanks [ 9 Answers ]

Im moving and I want a cute nickname. Im a girl and I am 14 you don't really need to no my name because I do NOT want it related to my name.

Canning using a pressure cooker [ 1 Answers ]

I am canning carrots with a pressure cooker. I used quarts and have some left over so I want to use pints. The pressure cooker booklet says it holds max of 10 pint jars. Can I do say 4 at a time? That's about all I have left would be. Would this change the time or pressure?

Canning fresh veg with pressure cooker [ 1 Answers ]

Hepl please i bought a pressure cooker and in their manual it list how to cook all foods but not how long to pressure cook can foods. I want to can fresh string beans and there is no time table on any fresh vegtables to be canned my pressure cooker is 15 psi. could someone help me on this. My...

View more questions Search