Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gbrett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 05:36 AM
    Trying to find old bank records to support disability repayment made in 1997.
    Due to waiting for and receiving a lung transplant in 1995, he received disability benefits from 1995-1997. Social Security claims we were overpaid $13,000+ and wants us to pay it back. However, in 1997 we paid back $10,000+ in 3 separate checks and were told our balance was zero. We moved in 1999 and weeded through our file cabinet, burning records we thought we would no longer need. On 3 occasions we had been told our balance was zero. Now, 2009, Soc. Sec. is again requesting pay back. We no longer have records and they claim they show no record for the 3 large repayment checks we sent. Our credit union tells us they don't keep records that long! What can we do to recreate what we paid so we don't repay what we've already paid?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 07:22 AM

If you are in the US these transactions would have been reported to the IRS - the checks you received would be income and the return of benefits would have offset your income for the year they were returned.

Otherwise if all records were destroyed I see no way to prove your claim.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to find records [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I Am Trying To Figure Out How I Can Find If A Person Is On Parole And How To Get Those Records.can Anyone Help?

SSI or Social Security Disability and bank accounts. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if there is a maximum amount that can be in a bank account if a person is receiving SSI or Social Security Disability benefits... Thanks

Bank loses pmt records-turns son into credit bureau.read on! [ 7 Answers ]

This is unbelievable! Back in Oct. 06, my husband and I helped our 22 yr. old son with some bills and debt he got himself into thinking he was ready and mature enough to be out on his own. He acquired just over $300 in service fees from the bank for bad checks. Bank closed his acct. Each payday I...

View more questions Search