Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixmow Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2009, 04:41 AM
    Lawn Chief blade spindle?
    Trying to find out where I can get a Lawn Chief blade spindle? It is a Lawn Chief 1032

Model 300H serial number 229948... do not know year... any help would be appreciated..
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 01:34 PM

Hi,
    You will need to supply the numbers off the engine. Probably stamped into the blower housing above the plug, exhaust or on top.
    Lawn Chief General Power, owned by True Value, sold to MTD and can be a headache at times. It is not the only one, just one.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 27, 2009, 02:01 PM
    The number off the engine is as follows:

Model Type Code
    256707 0122 0190011931

Jul 27, 2009, 02:01 PM
    The number off the engine is as follows:

Model Type Code
    256707 0122 0190011931

Jul 27, 2009, 03:29 PM

Hi,
    Threw me off for a second when you ran the trim number into the Code (the space between the 1 and 9 not there.) Engine is 11HP built on January 19, 1990. That would make the replacement spindle part #717-0906. If the original had woodruf keys for the sheave and/or blade adapter, then you will need 756-0486 and 748-0300, also. All "7's" could change to "9's." Replacement spindle are splined, not keyed. Be sure to coat splines with anti-seize, or alternately, grease for possible future disassembly.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 28, 2009, 02:53 AM
    Need a little more help. I have the whole unit out. It has the pulley on top. Are we taking abou the shaft inside? Or the whole spindle... shaft, bearing and pulley. I under stand or suspect the shaft might come apart? And most importantly where do I get replacement part with number you supplied? Can you also explain what you mean by "if the original had woodruf keys for the sheave and/or blade adapter, then you will need 756-0486 and 748-0300, also. All "7's" could change to "9's." Replacement spindle are splined, not keyed. "? I know what a key is and what splined is but not sure where you are talking about? Hope I'm not asking too many questions...

Bob

Jul 28, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Hi,
    Questions are fine! Ask as many as you need to. What is the name of this forum, after all?
    The part number is for the entire spindle (shaft, bearings, housings) as an assembly. I have found that to try and invest the time and effort to rebuild them is often counter-productive.
    By splined I mean that the sheave mates to the shaft of the spindle by 25-30 splines ( a guess) as does the blade adapter on the other end.
    You can about bet on that number change in some cases. For years MTD has had a "method in their madness" in that they have grouped like parts by the 3 digit prefix of the part number, i.e. 725 = electrical, 754 = belt, 756 = idler/sheave, etc. The number change how they are trying to unify divergent numbering systems caused by their purchases of other brands; it has been going on for over 20 years starting with the purchase of Aircap in the 1980's.
    It is not up tp me to recommend business establishments as that could be construed as an endorsement. I do however use the information that some provide freely as an information repository in completing my answers here. One of the best is: http://www.outdoordistributors.com/MTD/MTD_Main.html
    Since you do not say where you are, I cannot give you a retail location near you.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 28, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Clarke: I do appreciate your help. I'm getting an education in lawn mower parts for sure...
    So the 3 numbers you gave me when I look them up refer to : spindle assembly, pulley that goes on top, and blade adapter.. now my new questions are:

Does the spindle assembly go inside the quill or housing and if so how do I get the old part
    Out and the new spindle in?
    How do I attach the pulley to the top of the spindle?
    How do 1 take apart the part that holds the blade and put on the blade adapter?

Right now the pulley is sheared right off the top of the shaft that was the spindle, so I'm kind of looking for the steps to how put these 3 parts together and reinstall it in the mower
    I don't have any special tools. I have a vice, and drift punch, hammer etc. Im mechanically inclined but not sure of the steps... I live in the northeast-Mass. 40 miles east of Boston.

Jul 28, 2009, 09:36 AM

Hi,
    First I think it may be instructive if you take the link and choose Deck... and look at the picture of the spindle. The top sheave is held on by a single nut and lockwasher. The adapter is held on to the spindle by the bolt in the center and onto the adapter by the other two bolts. The spindle is held to the deck shell by three bolts, washers and nuts.
    I do not remember the size ot the nut, the center bolt on the adapter requires a 9/16" and the outer ones, 1/2." The assembly requires 7/16."
    Please look at the picture as the machine does not have to be a MTD at that age.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 4, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Clarke: been away for awile and back to this spindle... When I call up the link you supplied, and use the part numbers you supplied... it shows only the spindle by itself... I have the part out but don't know how to take it apart... since the shaft on the top and pulley are sheared off at the top... I called this part place in Alabama where the link is... and they say they only have the 3 separate pieces.. (spindle, pulley and adaptor)since I can't take it apart... im kind of stck as what to do? Any7 words of wisdom?

Bob (fixmow)

Aug 4, 2009, 03:15 PM

Hi,
    First tell me the part number you feel is the part. Second take off blade (three bolts, two with nuts) take off whole assembly, clamp blade adapter in vise to hold shaft and find something to remove the nut holding the pulley to the top. Hopefully the remnants of the pulley will slide off.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 4, 2009, 03:46 PM
    I have the whole assembly off on the bench. The blade was only held on by one bolt. The blade is cradled in a two inch wide cradle thtat has 2 sides that are bent over so as the blade won't slip when rotating. After the blade is removed the whole assebly is removed by taking 4 bolts out that go through the deck into the spindle housing... now I could put that cradle part in a vise and hold it... but the pulley is no longer
    Attached to the shaft on top... there is nothing but a stub maybe 3/4 inch sticking out past the berring on top where the spool used to be attached... so there is nothing to hold onto the top to prevent the shaft from spinning . That's my problem I don't know how to remove this spindle from the housing.

Aug 4, 2009, 04:47 PM

Hi,
    Okay, you Lawn Chief is a Dynamark (now part of Briggs, but previously Murray and before Noma). That is what your description told me.
    Try the link below; you will have to do some measuring. It can be difficult to find parts and breakdowns on these. Tell me if none of these work. I have a bookmark somewhere, I have sooo many I sometimes "misplace" one.
    K & T Parts House - 10-Deck Steering & Wheel Parts, Electric PTO Clutch, Caster Forkes, Deck Springs, Height ADJ, Wheel Bolts for AMF
    Peace.
    Clarke

Aug 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
    The first one Cat # 1170 is almost exact... My pulley across the top is 4 5/8" the one in the catalog is 4 3/4"

So only an 1/8 difference... all lother measurements are exact... and it says it for a 32 inch deck which I believe this Chief is because it has a decal saying 1032... so if the 1/8 inch is no consequence... I probably should order it?. is it OK that it doesn't say anything about the previous numbers you gave me: 717-0906? It really looks exactly likethe part I took out

Bob fixmow

Aug 4, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Hi,
    I would say yes, though you may want to jot the part number down and go to the search engine of your choice, or more than one, and compare the prices.
    It is only available as an assembly and the price did not look bad. That !/8" is inconsequential!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 5, 2009, 04:12 AM
    Thanks Clarke for all your help in locating this item. I couldn't have done it without you. You are good! I will do the search... order the piece and let you know how I make out... Thanks and Peace

Bob

Aug 17, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Clarke, I got the piece... had to grind off about 1/4 inch on each side of the piece that holds the blade... to get it to fit inside the hole on the deck... but it works great! I'm mowing away like it was new! Thanks for your great help!!

Bob---fixmow

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn Chief riding lawn mower [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is some kind of online manual or diagram showing how to put together different areas of a lawn chief riding mower? We have an older model we're fixing up... just wondering if there's any display or step-by-step instructions w/ pictures online... thanks! Nicole

Lawn chief lawn mower rider looking for fuse [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lawn chief riding lawn mower where is the fuse located?

Repairing MTD mower blade spindle [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 6 Y/O MTD riding mower. The spindles appear to have gotten rusty over the winter and don't turn freely (stored in a garden shed). I have already broken the belt due to the increased friction. I need to know how to remove the deck and if the spindles can be repaired or if they need to be...

View more questions Search