Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jean48329 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 07:30 AM
    State of Mich. Treasury placed lien on SSD for Cigarette Tax!
    I was notified approximately a year ago that I owed approximately 250.00 in tax, due to my purchasing cigarettes online. The taxes in MIchigan on them are astronomical.. and being a single Mom, permanently disabled and with only SSD as income, you try to save every penny you can! I know ignorance is not an excuse with the Treasury Dept. unbeknownst to me, a law had gone into effect disallowing the purchase of Cigarettes online for residence of MIchigan, unless you claim them... well, I don't file a tax return because of my income status.. so the total due was 1544.49 due, that's with fines and penalties. I requested an itemization, because the amount of tax they were charging me seemed extreme, even with MIchigan's standards... waited, waited... never received... finally received a phone call this past May... ok. Look, I just want to pay on this damn thing, it's not going to go away, so I told them, I can only afford 5.00 or so, if I have more, I'll send it. That was fine. I volunteered my social, bank info, etc. and paid religiously, every month... in August, they wanted more info... I filled out the form, sent it in with my check. Well they cashed the check, but claim "you never sent in the information, therefore, we don't have a "payment agreement"., so we had no choice but to place a lien on your bank account". After I put my heart back in my chest (I'm trying to make this short, but make sure I cover everything) They've agreed to release "Part" of my money back... I told them, I only have SSD!! Well, because my son, who is in College, has a little bank account that he put his paychecks in from working a job over the summer for spending money for school, and my name was on the account... they kept what was left in his account... and at one time, two months ago, he "loaned" me 150.00, transferring from his account to mine. The Treasury knew they were in the wrong, but searched and searched for a justification for the lien, and this is how they determined "you had additional income".! I have to believe this is wrong... I have paid them every month, be it only 5.00, but it was showing good faith... now they just sent me the same form I filled out in August and sent in with the check they cashed... Is this legal?? Please, for my own sanity... can anyone help me with solid information?
    Thank you ever so much... I've been so stressed out I can barely move, I have had no money for a week since they pulled this on me.. they pulled every dime I had! :mad:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 07:52 AM
    If Nothing Else File A Compliant With The Governor, Attorney General And Any Comsumer Right Groups In Your State. Explain To Them You Problem, Call Governor Office If You Can.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 19, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Agree with Mr. Yet.

However, if you also made phone calls to the local newspapers and got a story written about what happened, I suspect you would get more immediate relief.

Also, a nationally syndicated consumer advocate based here in Atlanta named Clark Howard would probably be interested in hearing from you. His staff will investigate your case and, if it has merit, then go to bat for you.

His website is www.clarkhoward.com.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 04:52 AM
    Use the local paper, Letter to the Editor
    jean48329 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Well, the net result of all of this nightmare, so far, the "elected officials" aren't touching this one... not a one.. not the " office", state senator, not a one! It's no darn wonder this state is in such a "nightmarish" economical situation... with elected officials like this, who needs thieves... we've elected them! It's been almost comical trying to reason with these idiots... absolutely phenomenal what some of these people will hold to be the truth! I am astounded... but not through yet! No pun intended, Mr. Yet! I am going to the Media now, it appears it and finding an attorney through legal aid will be my only way to make things "right"... How sad... I wouldn't be so adamant if I knew that I had provided all this information to them and had been making monthly payments to them, and the way I've been treated, been laughed at by some of the "officials".. I am through! I will not put up with being treated this way... this is supposed to be a Democracy, not a Dictatorship... and to save their own skin, I have never witnessed individuals dig so hard to justify their actions! Be that as it may, I will persevere and follow up with all of the suggestions... but as a strong suggestion to anyone on Social Security, Disability or Retirement, with a tax bill due... do not under any circumstances deposit any, any or any CASH into your account.. it is your "burden" and not even the most obvious evidence will be believed... the treasury department will do as they wish...
    I loved this state... now I can see why people have left it in droves! I may be the on the next train out!
    Thank you all for your input!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State Tax [ 9 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your help to all of us. I have been trying to find an answer to my questions through your previous posts but failed to do so. I came to the US in2003 as a F-1 student and was under F1+OPT status for 2005. I have two questions regarding my tax return: ...

Help on state tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have posted this question once before, I did not get any response. I am posting it again. I am currently on H1B1 visa. I got my visa on Oct 1 2004. I got married in Feb 05. My wife joined me here on h4 visa. She got admission at Michigan State univ and got her F1 visa in Aug. So now she...

H1 + Out Of State Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I have always filed 1040NR until now. Because I was on F1 or OPT. 2005 was the year I entered into H1 status. So I guess now I have to file regular 1040. Right? Is there anything different for me since I am on H1? I hear since H1 is non resident I am exempt from social security and Medicare. Can I...

Tax lien certificates [ 1 Answers ]

Are tax lien certificates purchased for the purpose of 1. gaining a good return on investment or 2. securing property with little money down as good as it's kicked up to be? What are the biggest drawdowns to tax lien certificates? Thank you

F1->H1, State Tax [ 1 Answers ]

When filing state taxes, should I put the "adjusted gross income" as the income earned while I am on H1b or is it the whole year(h1b+F1)? I am filing Kansas State tax return, if that helps. Thanks,

View more questions Search