Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Eczema Really Bad
    Does anyone have eczema so bad that it just drives you nuts? I have taken steroids (prednisone) and I use steroid cream and it doesn't really help. Does anyone have any suggestions or found something that works whether it be over the counter or a prescription.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 05:17 PM

Try eating probiotics -unsweetened yogurt
    And cutting out greasy food and foods with a lot of preservatives.
    Eat more vegetables
    Omega fatty acid or flaxseed is also good.

Eczema and Psoriasis Recovery with Natural Treatment
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Jul 24, 2009, 09:02 PM

I hope you have soft water. Take a bath with oatmeal in a nylon ( tie the nylon off) Also switch your lotion up. Like get Vanicream, Lubriderm, and two other lotions that agree with you, and only use no more than twice in a row. You could go tanning. Go tanning at a salon. Don't go so long you get burnt. And Yes try to change your diet. Almost forgot ware only cotton, and wash clothes in mild soap. Don't add fabric softener. I feel for you.
    angelbaby93 Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Jul 25, 2009, 07:51 PM

Yes I have had this since I was younger and generic anti-itch lotion like calamine lotion works if that doesn't help try hydro-cortisone it would work but you have to apply this a lot... maybe try changing your laundry detergent and bath soap that you use that also makes the eczema worse dove soap works for this even taking weekly aveeno or oatmeal baths like 3 times a week work.. just soak in it and apply the hydro cortisone it should work and change your laundry detergent too that also affects it badly.. hope my answer helps u
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 08:26 PM

I used to have eczema, but it went away. I got it when I went away to college and it vanished after I got married and had kids. It used to come back when I had visitors staying in the house for several days, but not lately. In college it always got worse during finals week.

Things that help are double rinsing my laundry, no softeners or other chemicals in the clothes besides mild detergent, no products in the dryer. Yes to keeping your skin lubricated, as long as the lotion doesn't contain anything that makes it worse. I actually found Dove soap to be bad (for me) because it's hard to get it all off your skin. I use neutrogena, which rinses off more completely. Oatmeal baths never helped me, but that's just me.

I agree about a good diet high in fiber and probiotics--not just yogurt, but sourdough bread, sauerkraut, cheese, tofu, Kim Chee--anything fermented that you can stand. Lots of whole fruit.

Taking prednisone is not good for your health long term. You need to find other solutions. I personally think stress is a contributing factor. You might try reducing stress in your life and meditation and regular exercise and sleep.
    logiudice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 01:56 PM
    I agree that stress is a major contributing factor. I know that as a fact because I never had eczema until I filed for a divorce. I have tried many creams. But the only one that I find is working for me is pure shea butter body lotion. I also found that chewing my food better and taking two capsules of acidophilus every day to help with the digestion also helps.
    LizLearning Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 06:10 AM
    Diet and chemicals play a factor as well as stress

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone any ideas? Bad eczema. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wonder if anyone has ever seen or had similar.. My 6 year old son has eczema and has had it since a baby... twice this year his hands have broken out into spots.. almost like teenage zits... Our doctor was totally baffled and gave him antibiotics.. the second time they broke out even the...

Eczema on infants [ 2 Answers ]

My twins who are 10 months old both have Eczema and have had it since they were about 2 months old. I have tried everything for it and can't seem to fnd anything that is actually working. The doctor perscribed hydrocortisone but it doesn't seem to work all that great. What do I do?

Dyshidrotic Eczema [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering is there any cure for Dyshidrotic Eczema because I have it on my right index finger and its and on and off recurring thing it doesn't go away so I was wondering if there is any medicine to calm it down or something. Thank you

Son has Eczema [ 11 Answers ]

My 2 year old son has eczema. He has had it pretty much since he was born, nothing out of the ordinary, I know what to do for it. But he developed a patch of eczema that's kind of worrying me. Its on his leg right where his butt and his leg meet, and it's a large patch, picture the size of a...

View more questions Search