Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ermohitkhandelwal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 10:26 PM
    Voltage drop
    A 300sq mm cable is to be laid for 600mtr. Distance.
    As the distance is large so there are considerable voltage drop at the receiving side.
    How can we cope up with this voltage drop at the receiving end? We want a constant voltage ofd 415 V at receiving end irrespective of input voltage?

The system is 3 phase, Aluminium conductor is being used
    Load of 400 A .
    The requirement is to get a constant voltage level of 415V at receiving end
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 02:50 AM
    Here is an online calculator for metric values:

http://www.monachos.gr/eng/calculators/voltage_drop.htm

You also need to know if the system is three phase or single phase, the load in amperes or watts, and the type of wire material to complete the calculations.
    ermohitkhandelwal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 02:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Here is an online calculator for metric values:

http://www.monachos.gr/eng/calculators/voltage_drop.htm

You also need to know if the system is three phase or single phase, the load in amperes or watts, and the type of wire material to complete the calculations.

The system is 3 phase, Aluminium conductor is being used
    Load of 400 A .
    The requirement is to get a constant voltage level of 415V at receiving end
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 05:06 AM
    Sorry I see the calculator does not work well, even with the correct values.

Assuming the supply voltage is 480 volts, and assuming unity power factor of 100 %, aluminum wire 253 mm squared will have a Vd of 58 volts, delivering 422 volts.

If the load has either inductive or capacitive characteristics, then increase the wire size to the next size or so.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 19, 2006, 06:47 AM
    When I design systems for that distance, I transmit power at a higher voltage and transform it down at the receiving end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best rewire solution to avoid voltage drop [ 9 Answers ]

I need to replace existing wiring in a bedroom/office. The panel is located in a basement and NM can be run up a chase to the attic. From the attic, access to receptacle locations can be made through the wall plates down to the receptacle locations. The question concerns cable length and the best...

Voltage Drop [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 20 amp breaker;there are a total of 7 receptacles on this circuit with a 15 amp GFI on the first receptacle. The first 5 receptacles in line work fine, the last two receptacles which are approximately 70 feet from the 5th receptacle flip the 15 amp GFI off when plugging in a drill. I...

Voltage drop. Is this normal? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a rural, small cabin (aprox. 50 yrs. Old) on a co-op electrical grid. The main panel with circuit breakers was recently installed (before I got here, 100 amp service) but the wiring was not replaced. It's the old two-wire (no bare copper ground). When I run certain circuits (220 well...

Voltage drop [ 2 Answers ]

How far can you run an electrical cord, that is plugged into a 20 amp circuit, and still run a circular saw? If the saw starts slowly, will that harm the saw?

Drop down [ 2 Answers ]

I know I have done this before, And I can't remember how I did it. I would like to eliminate the search history, from the search field when I start to type something it gives a drop down of previous searches. I do not want it to do this- how can I change it?

View more questions Search