Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ealcala Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Over service of Alcohol
    I know that a bartender and the premises is liable for service of an alcoholic beverage to an obviously intoxicated person. (Califonia)

But what about if a bartender serves someone 10 shots of tequila and 5 beers in the time span of 1 hour. And, duing that hour, the patron did not show symptoms of intoxication, thus, no violation of service to an intoxicated person. After that hour was up, the customer got up and left. An hour later, the customer was found in the street passed out and taken to the hospital.

Common sense tells you that anyone who drinks that much in that short of a time span, they are obviously going to end up drunk.

Does anyone know of a section or case law that would hold the bartender or the premises liable for the above scenario?

Any help is appreciated!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Hello eal:

Nahhh. I'm not that kind of jail house lawyer. I don't know case law from a case of booze (pun intended). I can assure you, however, that if the bartender was neglectful in his duties, you can SUE. Under what law are you going to sue? Your REAL lawyer will know.

What I know, is what you can DO about it.

Yes, it sounds as though the bar was negligent. If you can prove it, you've accomplished HALF the task. The next half, is proving damages. I don't think you've got any. What?? You've got a hospital bill? How much? $1,000?? Those aren't damages... I'm talking about DAMAGES!!

excon
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2006, 01:42 PM
    If the only consequence was that the person passed out and was taken to the hospital then there's nothing to be liable for. Of course, the bartender should have known better than to serve that much in such a short time span and the person should have known better than to consume that much in that same short time span. However, if there was no real harm or injury to anyone else because of this person's actions while intoxicated, then the bartender and establishment won't be liable for anything except possibly medical bills for the hospital visit if the patron doesn't have health insurance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2006, 04:24 PM
    Damn, if people would only take responsibility for their own actions instead of suing everyone. <end of rant>
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 22, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Since its possible to kill someone with alcoholic poisoning by sheer volume, I don't think a trained professional bartenders is willing to risk serving such an outrageous amount. I harbor a small dose of skepticism about the OP being factually correct or even plausible for reality. Knowing about safe limits and proper handling of alcohol service is a part of their job much like food handling sanitation is for that burger flipper at McD's.

Without witnesses, receipts, hosptial bills, etc I don't think it's a case and even with it, its going to be an uphill climb if the bar and the professional bartender know their stuff and did it anyway. If its true, it certainly was dangerous. Bars are often targets for lawsuits and so I would suspect they know how to avoid them. How do I know this? I accidentally dug it up researching how often AA is sued when a lawsuit showed up on my desk LOL and its even more!

I stand behind NK's rant and CHEERS!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

Beastfeeding and alcohol [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

Best lasers in service [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Im looking to have lasik surgery in england/europe and would like to know what laser machine is the most advanced/accurate and where they may be located.thanks graham

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search