Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cashcow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Hippa violation?
    I am a type 2 diabetic who holds a commercial drivers license. I had my required DOT physical and passed with flying colors and received my medical card for 1 year. 2 years is normal but 1 year is common for someone in my situation. However 3 weeks later I received (via my company's safety director) a new card valid for only six months. Seems the company's contracted medical examiner contacted my personal physican and obtained my medical records.He then changed my medical clearance from 1year to 6 months without a new exam.I know I have signed a paper at my doctor that only allows my records to go to my wife and insurance provider.Who is in violation here?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 10:03 AM

First, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA.

Second, the party that released restricted medical information is violation. That would appear to be your Physician.

Are you positive you never signed a release authorizing your employer to obtain medical information? If so, there is no violation.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 10:11 AM

HIPAA aside, most trucking companies are getting very hinky lately when it comes to drivers having accidents in their trucks costing the company's insurance rates to sky rocket. The company is just trying to cover it's behind the only way it can to appease their insurance company. Commercial rates are out of this world for trucking companies now.

You being a diabetic means that you are at greater risk for a moving accident according to some insurance carriers. Having your medical card for 6 months should not be an issue. I could almost guarantee you that you signed something with your employer that allows the insurance company to have access to your records otherwise the doctor's office would not have sent a copy to the insurance carrier. Anytime I requested medical records from a doctor's office they insisted on a signed release. Don't see it happening any other way.

If you don't want your medical condition to dictate your job, then you need to get into a different line of work.
    cashcow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 10:29 AM

The insurance companies(mine or theirs) are not involved.This is simply a DOT certified doctor whose services are purchased by my company to perform the exams.However your answers have me thinking there could possibly have been some type of release in the several pages of forms you are handed in there before the exam.I was just curious about this subject and probably let it slide since I have held this job for 33 years.Not worth the hassle. Thanks for your thoughts!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 10:53 AM

Just WHO do you think pays for the DOT doctor to examine you? Your company does. The company must strictly adhere to their insurance carrier's guidelines and policies. I worked for several trucking companies in various capacities, one of which was in the Safety Department, so I think I know where I'm coming from. And yes, you could very well have signed the forms releasing the info back to your company's insurance carrier. When you are a professional driver basically your medical records are always readily available due to the very reason you are on the highway with an 80,000 lb loaded vehicle capable of causing extreme highway mayhem.

Glad to hear you have been a driver for 33 years. Apparently your diabetes is well under control.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcow View Post
    The insurance companies(mine or theirs) are not involved.This is simply a DOT certified doctor whose services are purchased by my company to perform the exams.However your answers have me thinking there could possibly have been some type of release in the several pages of forms you are handed in there before the exam.I was just curious about this subject and probably let it slide since I have held this job for 33 years.Not worth the hassle. Thanks for your thoughts!

I agree it's not worth the hassle and I never have a problem with a legit question, which is what you have.

My opinion is that somewhere in that paperwork there is a release - particularly if the company is paying for the exam.

Any other questions, fire away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Hippa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had fallen 6 ft and landed on my lower back and had NO feeling in my lower back and legs. I was taken to a local hospital and was placed in a room for 2 hours before the doctor said that I would be going to x-ray. In the x-ray room the tech asked me to move over and I told her that it...

Hippa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I am seeing this guy and his ex wife does not like me anyway my dad was taken to the hospital and the unit clerk was my boyfriends ex sister in law the next morning his ex wife was texting us and saying she knew where we were at so early in the morning is that a hippa violation her sister did I...

HIPPA Violation [ 4 Answers ]

I recently sent a letter requesting verification of a dental bill that belongs to my ex-husband. This dentist's office is in a very small town which seems insignificant but sort of explains this next part. Upon receiving the letter, the office manager takes my request as a personal attack and...

View more questions Search