Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buddywiser Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Can't Find Junction Box for Pool Light
    Hi, I posted this on my pool forum, but I can use all the help I can get.

While resolving a missing GFCI on my pool light circuit, I realized that I may not be able to replace my pool light because I can't find the junction box that connects the pool light cord to the wiring from the switch.

Here are pics of the cord that runs from the switch towards the light under the concrete, a pic halfway to the light, and a pic of the garden area behind the diving board.

I believe that the wall was built at the same time as the pool. I have dug around in there pretty good, but haven't found anything. I have taken off the diving board and there is nothing inside the stand.

Could it be under the stand (in a cutout in the concrete), or under the concrete itself? The pool is 14 years old and there probably wouldn't have been any inspections :(

Thanks for any help :)
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 09:02 AM

It looks like digging is going to be futile in this case, Wires can be located using non-destructive techniqies.

As an example:

Greenlee Tracker II Locating System - Cable Locating - Greenlee 501
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 01:40 PM
    Check in or around the post light.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 02:20 PM
    There should be a deck box somewhere. This is a box with a black plastic cover and a bronze base. This is where the cord from the light is terminated.

As TK said, look around the post light and all in the bushes. It could be almost anywhere. I have had to hide them in some inconspicuous places.

Jul 23, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Then again there may not even be one. I have seen more than one pool done incorrectly by not even using deck boxes.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 02:30 PM

Some places, the conduit could be 18" above water level. Not sure current code.
    Do you have a low voltage transformer on the wall.
    It may go through one of these:
    http://www.nextag.com/pool-light-jun...ox/stores-html
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 02:52 PM
    So true,

Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Then again there may not even be one. I have seen more than one pool done incorrectly by not even using deck boxes.
    Could be under the diving board pedestal, could be in one of these junction boxes.

First is above the concrete, the other flush in the concrete.
    Attached Images

Jul 23, 2009, 04:31 PM
    Thanks for all of the help :). There's definitely no deck box unless it is covered in dirt. I have even checked inside the light pole. I am very interested in that box that is flush with the concrete. That's a possibility. When I had the diving board off, I couldn't budge the bolts inside the stand holding it to the concrete. So I still wonder what, if anything, could be found under the stand. I will work on this at some point.
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 04:52 PM

Do you have a transformer for light at pool equipment area?

Jul 23, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Do you have a transformer for light at pool equipment area?
    No, as far as I can tell, the wire runs straight from the panel to the switch, and then from the switch under the concrete to who-knows-where.

Jul 23, 2009, 07:50 PM
    What kind of wires are in the switch box?
    Is there a black rubber cord with three wires in it?

Jul 24, 2009, 05:28 AM
    What kind of wires are in the switch box?
    Is there a black rubber cord with three wires in it?
    That wire in the pic is the one that is coming out of the switch box. There is another one exactly like it that comes into the switch box.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 05:31 AM

If it switching 120 volts , and the light is 12 volts, their must be a transformer between the 2.
    That wire next to the quarter could be for post light.

Jul 24, 2009, 06:05 AM
    If it switching 120 volts , and the light is 12 volts, their must be a transformer between the 2.
    That wire next to the quarter could be for post light.
    I should have stated that the light is a 120v light. The wires for the post go around the other side of the pool. There are 2 other posts like it. There is also a switch near the step side of the pool for them. I've turned breakers on and off. This is definitely the wire going to the light. But I have no idea where the light cord and this wire meet up.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 06:20 AM

If correctly done junction should be above the water level or a leak can drain the pool.
    You may have to remove power from the switch, place a signal on it and locate underground wiring.
    Light may have enough wire inside niche to bring to the surface.
    What is that conduit next to the quarter?

Jul 24, 2009, 06:35 AM
    If correctly done junction should be above the water level or a leak can drain the pool.
    You may have to remove power from the switch, place a signal on it and locate underground wiring.
    Light may have enough wire inside niche to bring to the surface.
    What is that conduit next to the quarter?
    That is the conduit leading up to the switch. The wire comes out and then heads back toward the light.

I will check under the diving board stand at some point. If there's nothing there, then the junction box must be either in the garden or buried under the concrete. I don't have the tools to follow the wire, so I may end up calling an electrician, or finding someone who does.

Jul 24, 2009, 12:09 PM
    It is highly unlikely that the box is under the concrete. If it is that would be extremely unfortunate.

The cord coming from the light is an SJ type 3-wire rubber cord, like a soft black extension cord. About four feet of the cord is wrapped around the light housing and then the whole thing is installed into the niche. This way you can remove the light, uncoil the cord, and change the lamp with the light housing up on the deck.
    The cord enters the conduit out the back of the niche and goes on to the deck box. Like Strat said, this conduit is full of water and can drain the pool if it is cracked, broken or terminates at or below the water line. That is why there are strict rules as to placement of the deck box.

Jul 24, 2009, 12:50 PM
    It is highly unlikely that the box is under the concrete. If it is that would be extremely unfortunate.

The cord coming from the light is an SJ type 3-wire rubber cord, like a soft black extension cord. About four feet of the cord is wrapped around the light housing and then the whole thing is installed into the niche. This way you can remove the light, uncoil the cord, and change the lamp with the light housing up on the deck.
    The cord enters the conduit out the back of the niche and goes on to the deck box. Like Strat said, this conduit is full of water and can drain the pool if it is cracked, broken or terminates at or below the water line. That is why there are strict rules as to placement of the deck box.
    Yes, I understand all about the deck box that should exist. But there is none that is visible anywhere. I am pretty sure there weren't any inspections done on this pool build. That is why it wouldn't surprise me to find something peculiar like being flush with the concrete.

By the way, this is an Aqualumin Nicheless light. It doesn't have the bucket that most do, but instead has a bracket that is mounted on the wall of the pool. I noticed one day that it was about 1/3 full of water. I took it up to the deck and got the water out. I put some Jacks lube on the gasket and it is sealed okay now. But it has a lot of corrosion inside and I want to replace it. This is why finding where the cord meets the wire is so important to me. I can't replace it until I find that.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Well, you got the most likely ideas of the location of the box, if you can't find it, then all you can do is connect a circuit tracer on the niche fixture and track the cable's path.

Greenlee makes a good one for $500.00 that would find it.

Greenlee Products - Greenlee A Textron Company

Can't say if any of the cheaper ones will work.

A good service contractor that has one should be able to track it in a hour or so.

Not sure if anyone rents these out.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:14 AM
    Find this box yet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I search & find a used pool? [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for a used pool that I have been hearing so much about, that people are wanting to get rid of and just want someone to come and take it down? I live in Chebanse, Illinois. About a hour south of Chicago, and a hour north of Champaign. Am willing to come and take pool down, doing research...

Can the junction box on a recessed light fixture be used for different circuits [ 2 Answers ]

I'm remodelling my kitchen and we have the ceiling open to add/move switches and outlets. We noticed that we have a junction box hidden in the ceiling (an obvious code violation). In order to eliminate the stand alone J-box, can I route the wiring through the J-box that is attached to the side of...

Swimming Pool Light [ 3 Answers ]

If I remove the swimming pool light, is it necessary to still ground the slide and the steps?

Can Light Junction connection limit [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing canlights in the basement and need a clarification on how many wires I can have in the junction box. It states max 8 no. 12 wire 4 in 4 out through branch circuit conductors. I am using no 12 does this mean I can have a total of 8 wires in the box. I am using it to run to a couple...

View more questions Search