Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kris_12345 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 06:44 AM
    Epiphone les paul standard vs lespaul custom vs lespaul studio
    Hey I'm getting a epiphone les paul.. I was wondering does anyone know which one is better out of the studio standard or custom.. I love them all but I was jut wounding which ones are better built and which ones sound the best and what they compare to the other two guitars... if anyone could help me it would be much appreciated thanks!! :D
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 07:00 AM

I mostly Customized Stratocasters and SG's. Here's one persons opinion:
    YouTube - Epiphone Les Paul versus Gibson Les Paul guitar review
    QuinnGuitars Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 01:48 PM
    The Epiphone Les Paul custom has a much better tone and all around more quality. But the standard and studio have more of a heavy tone making them great rhythm guitars. I recommend a Gibson standard or studio, they will give you more quality than the epiphone, but the custom will beat them all plus the price is great.
    Epison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinnGuitars View Post
    The Epiphone Les Paul custom has a much better tone and all around more quality. But the standard and studio have more of a heavy tone making them great rhythm guitars. I recommend a Gibson standard or studio, they will give you more quality than the epiphone, but the custom will beat them all plus the price is great.

I'm sorry, but you hae no idea what your talking about regarding Epiphones. The studio, standard, and custom are all the same, on the inside, same pots, same caps, same pickups, same tuners, same bridge and hardware. The differences lie in the inlays and purling and binding, a studio should sound exactly the same as a custom, It just won't look as nice.

Studio: Plastic dot inlays, no binding, plain finish.

Standard: Better top, Pearl trapezoid inlays, and body binding.

Custom: Same top as the standard, Supposedly uses mahogony, but instances of use of Agathis, which is a cheap alternative to mahogany for the body, has been reported in many 07' to 09' customs. Has Body and neck binding, as well as headstock binding and body and headstock purling. Pearl block inlays and an ebony fretboard. Also has gold hardware.

As I said, the Custom will solely look better than the other two models, but sound will be exactly the same, due to same hardware/electronics.
    unreal2004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 06:53 AM
    No, I'm pretty sure that customs have rosewood fretboards
    Anyway how much more is the custom to the standard and studio
    prof_87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2010, 06:03 PM
    I am a true fan of Epiphone over gibson for a few reasons but the Custom Shop Epi Les Paul is by far and away better than other epi les paul's. However, you need to be certain that the seller has a qualified luthier to set it up for you. I own, my sweetheart, Gibson Epiphone Custom Shop antique (black and triple antique binding). It is a honey. My next door neighbor and very close friend is Carl (Jah) Hassis of the band Dread Zepllin and he thinks it is fantastic.

Johnny Ashburn
    connerk17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Get the epiphone les paul studio plus top.looks amazing and sounds awsome
    connerk17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 03:12 PM
    I mean standard plus top
    joeman55 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 11:43 AM
    I've got a epi honey burst plus top standard,a white lp custom and the black bueaty.
    The lp standards tone is a bit thicker than average, perfect for zeppelin and most classic rock artists.the custom and custom black beauty ar nearly the same tone wise(slightly thinner).But the black beauty has a powerful middle humbucker. If you get the custom I'd buy the black beauty custom.but the standard still awesome.Its you're call dude

Sep 29, 2010, 11:48 AM
    I've got a black beauty custom,lp standard honeyburst + lp custom artic white.all very similar.the lp standards bridge pickup is thicker in tone in my opininum.The custom white's tone is slightly thinner(awsome randy roads sound),but I prefer my black beauty.it has 3 humbuckers .the extra humbucker gives it that distinctive tone any player wants. Its you're call man
    They're all killer axes

Nov 7, 2010, 11:46 AM
    Comment on Epison's post
    Yes,I suppose the electronics are the same but the custom has a mahogany body mr. quinn is right, if I were you go try them out.I personally prefer the custom for the rich tone and nice lead playing,but the standards rythms awsome
    lamusic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 09:56 AM
    I think it all depends on the individual guitar. I've played some Studios that sounded every bit as good as Standard.
    These guitars have different pickups and the Standard has more luxurious appointments (binding, flame top, etc).
    CHeck out the variety at this site: http://www.lamusic.ca/SearchResults.asp?Search=epiphone+les
    Verdictjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 04:41 PM
    Epison is right for the most part they are mostly external and not internal in the differences. Some years and factories will have some differences as far as wood and electronics (the caps, pots, etc are poor, and this is a good first upgrade). Look at this forums site for more information. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problum with my epiphone sg [ 5 Answers ]

I got an ep[iphone sg, I got it so I could play ac dc, hells yeeeaaah, but there's something wrong with it, when ever I plug in the cord, it ends up falling out of the guitar, and I don't really understand why

Standard of care vs standard of practice [ 3 Answers ]

In terms of medicine, what is the difference between the standard of care and the standard of practice?

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean? [ 1 Answers ]

What standard score represents 1.5 and 2 standard deviations below mean?

Ron Paul [ 14 Answers ]

Can Ron Paul turn a populist libertarian campaign into as successful run for Republican standard bearer ? Or is he just a reincarnation of Howard Dean? Ron Paul's supporters blitzed the net yesterday and hauled in over $4million in campaign donations . This tops the single best day of any...

View more questions Search