Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karim_sbitar Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Oct 18, 2006, 05:03 PM
    virus that attacks hardware
    Please did virus really attaks hardware? And what can I do to avoid this threat
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 04:37 AM
    virus' attack data, not hardware. Certainly, though, you need to be running a good AntiVirus application. See here.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 04:54 AM
    The closest I've seen is that joke virus that opened your CDROM drawer. Otherwise it's as Rick explained.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by karim
    I heard many poeple talk...
    Many people talk about many things. That does not make them true. Virus' do not "attack" hardware.

Have a good antivirus app running and you won't have any problems.
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 11:43 AM
    I'm dying to see proof of a virus destroying a motherboard as you say. What "stuff" from the 'net can end up on your motherboard?
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 12:22 PM
    I even found the question intrigueing myself thinking I'd like to learn something... so googled a variety of ways and found nothing.

What do I get for my efforts? A reddie! :p

Funny how this works: When I'm plain wrong people are kind and correct me in posts, but 4 of the 5 reds I've got visible are plain silly. Oh well
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Well, y'know, you DO have some good connections here. You could clean up that undeserved reputation of yours. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Actually, I think a looooong row of greenies would look pretty boring, so the reddies mixed in gives the page a nice Christmas flavor. :p
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 24, 2006, 03:29 PM
    It's technically possible for a virus to damage hardware. The recent PSP Brick virus proves that, and if you look back, the CIH virus a few years ago attempted to flash the BIOS of the infected system to disable it.

The problem with hardware damaging viruses is that they have to be highly specific in terms of the hardware and software they can actually be successful on. For most virus writers, there's either no payoff, or a very small one... Why fry someone's machine when it can become a Zombie that can be used to SPAM or hack others... for money?

In any case, running an up-to-date AntiVirus software package will protect you from these known threats - Although it's impossible to guarantee protection in the future from what "might" happen.

I'm more surprised that there are not more viruses out there targeting cell phones and PDAs.

Oct 25, 2006, 02:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Many people talk about many things. That does not make them true. Virus' do not "attack" hardware.

HI thank u, but I don't want to install an antiv on my system. It slows the PC performance. But I installed deep freez do deep freez protect my machine?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 25, 2006, 03:02 AM
    Karim, if you won't install any security then you are in for a world of hurt!!

Deep Freeze will NOT protect you from virus infection, much less malware.

Philly, I must disagree with you, the viruses you mentioned attacked the systems firmware, not hardware.

Oct 25, 2006, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ

I don't want to have a useless antivir to slow me and make me :mad:. Anti virus only keep bothering you with bannal messages all the time. And when a real treat is up the anti is out of date o something
    BossMan

Oct 25, 2006, 03:36 AM
    Karim,
    If you won't listen to the advice that has been given to you, then feel free, but DON'T ask us to help fix your machine when it becomes unusable due to massive infestation!!

Bear in mind that it takes less than 30 seconds for an internet connected computer to become infected !

Oct 25, 2006, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    The closest I've seen is that joke virus that opened your CDROM drawer. Otherwise it's as Rick explained.
    If a 10k application can open your cdromdrawer why do u think virus can't attak hardware
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by karim_sbitar
    if a 10k application can open your cdromdrawer why do u think virus can't attak hardware
    Because the CDROM drawer opening is simply a command that you can use everyday if you knew it.

Grisoft AV doesn't slow performance, it's what I use. You must be thinking of any and all Norton/Symantec product that DO slow the system.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2006, 06:31 AM
    HI thank u, but I don't want to install an antiv on my system. it slows the pc performance. But I installed deep freez do deep freez protect my machine?
    Gee, I don't want to wear a condom, but the alternative is a lot worse! If you think an A/V affects PC performance, imagine what the virus or spyware will do to it!! Stop being foolish and install a good A/V. I use E-Trust Armor A/V which doesn't seem to have an appreciable affect on performance.

A virus does not attack hardware. That's not possible. But what one has to remember is that hardware is controlled by software. Some if that is EPROM (Electronically Programmable Read Only Memory). An example of this is your BIOS. So a virus COULD target the BIOS EPROM, thereby rendering the hardware unusable. This might seem like its attacking hardware but its not.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 25, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Philly, I must disagree with you, the viruses you mentioned attacked the systems firmware, not hardware.
    That's a pretty geeky separation... and while I can see what you mean, in the case of the CIH virus, let me ask you: How many PC manufacturers offer a solution to fix a bad BIOS flash?

In my experience - not too many. And while I don't know about the PSP, other hardware that you might flash the firmware on (such as your CD-ROM, hard-drive, printer server, or multifunction machines) have no way of recovering a bad BIOS flash. You're going to be replacing the mainboard of those devices to get them up and running again.

The bottom line is that if the CIH virus managed to corrupt a PC's BIOS, and you can't boot the PC, and there's no way to re-flash the BIOS... the hardware is dead because of damage caused by the virus.

...I don't want to install an antiv on my system. it slows the pc performance...
    It would be very foolish to use a network connected computer without any anti-virus protection. Even on a stand-alone machine, you usually would want a basic AV scanner available to scan removable media.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2006, 05:44 PM
    karim_sbitar agrees: thanks a lot man, but correct if am wrong I have all my important stuff on a partition and am connected from an other partition where the system is. So the worse that can happen if the hardwear is not attacked, can be solved by reinstalling windows

Just because yoiur data is on another partiton does not make it any less vulnerable.
    BossMan

Oct 26, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Karim, as has already been pointed out repeatedly viruses attack data most notably your OS!!
    Here's an excellent piece about how they work and what they do.
    Read and learn !!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self Healing Hardware [ 3 Answers ]

For the second time in five years my hardware has healed it self.This time my year old cell phone was taken to my retailer.I told them it froze and I could not make calls. The tech told me it could not be fixed,A few days ago I recharged the phone and it now works The phone is no longer online but...

New Hardware Found ? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi All - new to the site - so -HELP! On start up - getting New Hardware Found window - Last new hardware was a video card over a month ago - Out of interest sent window on 'Load from Internet' route - Window tries to download ' QoS RSVP' - finds it can't do it and asks for CD or...

Hardware help [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out what kind of a motherboard I have in a system that was given to me. I can not find any markings on it so I think that it is a generic board. I think I remember a program that you can run that will give you all the info about your system. Is there anyone out there that knows...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search