Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    captain1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Attempt to Collect Debt - Law Firm
    I received a letter from a law firm who says they represent Capital One. This is the first letter I have received from anyone after Capital One sent me the bill and said they were turning it over to a collection firm. This letter gave me 30 days to dispute deby etc. and wants me to contact their office. I want to negotiate a settlement for this debt, but don't know if I should call this law firm or the original creditor, Capital One. And typically what will they settle for?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 02:29 PM

The original creditor turned it over to the collections so you would contact them or the number on the paper.
    You can offer them the principal and see what they say but most likely they already have a higher figure in mind and won't budge off that. Also they will most probably demand the amount in full and not give you a payment option.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 02:48 PM

Actually, you can settle the debt for a lot less than you the principle is. This can be tricky though. You need leverage. So the question is, "what kind of leverage do you have?"

Have you recently been in some sort of financial hardship? (loss of job, reduction in income, medical expenses, etc)

Also, are you an "employee" or someone? Or are you self-employed or on a fixed income? If you're self-employed or on a fixed income, it is almost impossible for them to garnish your wages so their odds of actually collecting is less, if they are unwilling to work with you and they decide to sue you.

Do you own a home? If the answer is no, they have nothing worth putting a lien on in hopes of collecting, should they decide to work with you... another reason why they should be more inclined to work with you.

They will usually always come off as unwilling to budge... but that is their job.

If it were me, I would state my position then low-ball them. If they were unwilling to settle, I would say fine... call you back in a few months when you might be more willing to work with me.

But you have to be careful... if the amount owed is a large amount, they may be more inclined to sue, if they think they have a good chance of collecting from you.

On the other hand, the more they return uncollected debts to Capitol One, the less Capitol One will refer bad debt to them.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 02:53 PM

Yeah real tricky.
    Once you get to court they are a little more willing to talk principle or less. Before that they want to demand and not knowing the tricks they WANT as much as they can get.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 03:02 PM

And if you do get them to make a reasonable offer that you are willing to accept, MAKE SURE you get it in writing first!! I can't stress that enough!

After all... they ARE lawyers ;) heh
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 22, 2009, 03:06 PM
    I dealt with them after my divorce and they settled with me for the amount. If they tell you that they can't just tell them tough cookies. It's their job to try to get the full amount as quickly as possible, and a lot of the people you talk to who do this for a living get lied to and wind up being intolerant. Just be square with them and don't take ANY crap.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 05:42 PM

If they harass you look their toll free number up on here.

http://800notes.com/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt Collection Law Firm refused to take my payment? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if what I've been hearing is true or if it's just another one of those myths that people make up to feel good about themselves. I live in Wisconsin and have a $1,200.00 bill with the Children's Hospital that has been turned over to one of those collections law firms and they...

Law Firm Debt Collectors [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! On 9/4/08, I received a collection letter (from a law firm)for credit card debt I admit I owe, maybe not as much, I think they have tacked on $1,000.00 in fees. They offered me a settlement for a little over half but they want it in 2 weeks. I paid $1,000.00 already but will not be able to...

How long can a debt collector attempt to collect a debt? [ 2 Answers ]

I incurred a credit card debt that was turned over for collection in 2000. The debt was incurred in Wyoming but I now live in Colorado. Can anyone tell me what the statute of limitations on a debt are and if it differs from state to state. :eek:

Debt collection attempt 10 years old [ 1 Answers ]

I received a notice from a collection agency for a Wells Fargo bank account debt. I called the collection agency as all I could remember was that I had had a Wells Fargo account approx. 10-12 years ago, but know nothing of a debt owed to them. They called Wells Fargo while I was on the line, and...

Can a debt collector collect on a debt charged off with a zero balance? [ 3 Answers ]

Since I have been served papers for lawsuit by Capital ONe. Someone from Elite Recovery services, Inc has sent a letter to my husband saying "advised this account has been identified by our legal Department as an account to be forwarded toan attorney." This was seen on my husbands credit report...

View more questions Search