Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mocha81 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Moving in together
    How do you approach the subject of moving in together without sounding like your pushing it on him. We've been together for over a year and it seems like everyone else we know that other started dating at the same time as us or after us moved in together after a couple months.. even two months after they got together.. both of us agreed they were moving way too fast. But now it's been over a year, I'm thinking it's other you know what you want with that person or you don't. Do you want a life together or not. I'm 21 and still live at home I desperately want to move out other on my own or with him. Just want to open up the idea to him now.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Then tell him you plan on moving out. Don't obligate him to join, just discuss how you feel it's time to be on your own two feet. There is a lot to learn about yourself from living alone before you live with someone else anyway, so if he doesn't show any enthusiasm for the idea of living together, then don't worry and move out without him, that doesn't mean you have to stop dating.

One year sounds like a long time, but it's really not. So do what you have to do to be independent, it will benefit your relationship.
    Torrid13 Posts: 637, Reputation: 149

Jul 22, 2009, 12:52 PM

Some people don't believe in living together before marriage. Not saying that's your guy, but that's always a possibility.

I agree with Justy: move out on your own and be independent. Even if he doesn't join you (unless you want him to to also help pay for the new place?) you'll feel really accomplished, and no doubt he'll be impressed that you were able to go through such a change on your own.

And true; just because you don't live together doesn't mean you have to stop dating!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 12:57 PM

If you're scared going to be pushing the idea on him by asking him to move in together, then it means you're not ready.

Moving in together is a huge commitement and you need a strong communication system before. The fact that you need to ask us the question means that the two of you do not have a strong communication system at the moment. It might be difficult to admit, but if you had a strong relationship, you would be scared to bring this idea up to him.

Don't let others around you influence your relationship decisions. Every relationship is DIFFERENT. Go at your own pace. I suggest you work on strengthening your relationship before you consider moving in together.
    genesisz Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Jul 22, 2009, 04:13 PM

There really not an approach you can take. But the best way is to get an magazine with places in it an when you to are justin chillin take it out an be lik I was thinking to move out of my parents place getting a place for myself.then be like I was wondering can you help me caus I'm lost . After when you pick out a few place offer him to come along with you.ask him which one does he like the most.then when he pick just be like I'm not trying to pressure you or anything but I was wonder do you want to get a place together. You don't have to choose today just think about it. Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving on? [ 2 Answers ]

This is another post about my friend, the boy crazy one. Everything was fine for a while, but now everything is tense again. I hadn't talked to her for a while because I was going through some family stuff and I needed time to get my head together. So recently I texted her and asked her to hang out...

Moving on but moving backwards. [ 3 Answers ]

Its been over a year since me an my man split. We were together for 7 1/2 years. I don't know where we went wrong. I remember one day waking up beside him and him showing me a ring asking me to spend the rest of my life with him an that's when everything changed. We were engaged for only 3 months...

GED and moving away [ 12 Answers ]

OKay so all you know I'm 17 Well I am going for my GED And I want to do this program where I'll move away My mom says she doesn't care but I think she really does I would be a little over 2 hours away Have health and dental coverage My mom won't have to pay a penny I'll learn a job...

More on moving [ 1 Answers ]

DOes a noncustodial parent need to notify custodial parent of an out of state move within a certain period in a shared custody arrangement?

View more questions Search