Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 22, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Fish sick AGAIN?
    So here's my problem:
    I feed my fish red flake food so their poo is always red, but today when I looked at my tank I saw brown poo.

I have a snail but my snail's poo doesn't look like the poo I found today.
    I've been feeding my snail algae disks and I remove the leftovers.

What is my fish eating?
    Is he sick?
    Will he be all right?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 02:02 PM

Do you have any live plants in your tank?
    How long do you leave the algae disks in for?

It is possible the fish could be eating algae off the gravel as well.
    I see my goldfish pick up big mouthfuls of gravel, kind of suck on them and then spit them back out...
    Guess the catfish aren't doing their job :rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Do you have any live plants in your tank?
    How long do you leave the algae disks in for?

It is possible the fish could be eating algae off the gravel as well.
    I see my goldfish pick up big mouthfuls of gravel, kind of suck on them and then spit them back out...
    Guess the catfish aren't doing their job :rolleyes:
    No, I don't have any live plants in my tank.

The algae disks stay in the tank overnight.

I don't think my fish is eating the algae disks because if he picks up a piece of the algae disk I always see him spit it out.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 02:12 PM

He could be getting just enough from the algae disk to change to color of his poop.

I'm not entirely sure but it's possible.

Jul 22, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    He could be getting just enough from the algae disk to change to color of his poop.

I'm not entirely sure but it's possible.
    I still doubt that because today I put my snail in a different tank and my fish's poop was still brown.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Jul 22, 2009, 09:37 PM

When was the last water change? I always get the nitrate and nitrite thing mixed up but have you checked the levels of that and maybe ammonia? How is the pH levels? It could also just be the food. I only use algae tabs for my algae eaters. My fish don't like them. For a snail may I suggest a piece of cucumber instead of algae tab and see if that improves you fish problem.

Jul 23, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntSwee View Post
    When was the last water change? I always get the nitrate and nitrite thing mixed up but have you checked the levels of that and maybe ammonia? How is the pH levels? It could also just be the food. I only use algae tabs for my algae eaters. My fish don't like them. For a snail may I suggest a piece of cucumber instead of algae tab and see if that improves you fish problem.
    Thanks, I'll try a cucumber piece.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is my fish sick? [ 5 Answers ]

I have two fish and a water snail in my tank and today I found my fish leaning on a rock, sideways. Please please help me, I don't want my fish to die.:( Oh you, and I've been putting melifax into my tank, if that helps.

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Beta fish sick [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Buddah3, my office mate of 3 years, is sick. He had "pop eye" in one eye so I moved him into a new bowl and used mardel trisulfa - his "pop eye" went away. But he has not eaten since (3 weeks or so). He was hungery but could not get food in his mouth. It was as if he needed glasses...

View more questions Search