Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lil Joe47 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 11:41 AM
    How do I get rid of Ants in my home?
    Hi,
    How do I get rid of ants in my home? They are usually in the kitchen by the sink. I tried spraying the out side, but the next day, they were back again. I have a 2 year old boy so I must be selective in what I used to kill the ants.

Can you help?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 11:43 AM

Try ant bait traps instead of spray. The little round bait traps do a good job especially if the ants are just in your kitchen.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 11:46 AM

Terro makes some good but safe ant killers. The ants go back to their colony each day and take this stuff to the queen to eat. Spraying frequently only kills the workers and the queen makes more. Your home is a source of food for them, eliminate it. Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Jul 22, 2009, 11:48 AM

Raid ® : Max Concentrated DEEP REACH™ Fogger

This works pretty good

Jul 22, 2009, 11:51 AM

I think that product is for roaches and not sure I'd use it with small kids around. My mom once used it but it didn't hurt me much,it didn't hurt me muchit didn't hurt me muchit didn't hurt me muchit didn't hurt me muchit didn't hurt me much

Jul 22, 2009, 11:53 AM

What product are you talking about ballenger?? This product is for ants also.

Jul 22, 2009, 11:57 AM

Closely read their label, its boast is roaching killing, all other insects it says it controls. It is a borad band insecticide and many are made specifically for ants. Raid ® : Ant Baits III

Jul 22, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Oh OK, well thanks for correcting me, and sorry about that LilJoe ;)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 12:24 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pest-c...ts-374265.html
    I had this same problem. I took catsmine's advice and I've only seen a few ants since. I've still got ant bait around so I'm hoping that soon there won't be any at all.

Jul 22, 2009, 12:56 PM
    Thanks Guys for all the reply. I think I'll try ballengerb1 answer about the TERRO ant bait. I'll post the results everyone know how it goes.
    Joe
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 22, 2009, 03:23 PM
    A word of caution, LilJoe. Terro is an outstanding product( kudos to Ballengerb1) but you may have to monitor the bait placements and move them closer to where the ants come in. Sometimes Terro works so well that they die before they get back to the queen.

Jul 22, 2009, 03:27 PM

Catsmine is very correct. Kill the queen and you have the issue licked. A fogger inside kills only workers because the queen is outside. Where do the anys go, that is what they are inside to eat. You got something they want, get rid of it. I once placed a hard candy mint just outside of my door where they entered. That kept them busy until I came back from the hardward store with Terro bait drops.
    darrellg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 01:36 PM
    It may make a difference as to what type of ant you have as to what bait you use. Carpenter ants are another story. Every one else is correct,GET RID of there FOOD. Remove the food and seal it air tight.Place the ant killer in its place but try to find there origin,just watch and learn. Carpenter ants are very large and black and send there workers out for food.Use Carpenter Ant bait for this.Order on line for 29.95. It will destroy the nest. If this is the case there is an excellent possibility the is rotting wood some where in the home and will need to be repaired. Keep us posted.

Jul 23, 2009, 02:56 PM

Hi darrellg. Thanks for the reply, but these are not carpenter ants. They are the little small red ones.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellg View Post
    Carpenter ants are another story.
    Quite right, and rarely are they found around the sink unless that's where they are coming out of the wall.

The Eastern Carpenter Ant (the large black ones) normally are found indoors only when hunting other insects. They require much more protein than the smaller "sweet" or "urine" ants.
    Lea07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 01:45 PM

Sprinkle cornmeal they eat it and it swells up and they die sprinkle it out side if you know where they are coming from.
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea07 View Post
    sprinkle cornmeal they eat it and it swells up and they die sprinkle it out side if you know where they are coming from.
    IF they're large enough to eat the grains. IF it's dry enough outside that the cornmeal doesn't turn into mush. IF they're looking for starch at that particular time. IF you don't mind cockroaches being attracted to the leftover cornmeal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ants, and plants, any ground cover ants don't like? [ 8 Answers ]

We have major problem with small sugar ants. Is there any kind of ground cover or other plants that ants don't like that we could plant. We spray every year. Does not seem to do any good. We end up with them in our house. Going crazy. Help please, any ?

Ants in my home [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with lots of little ants all over my bathroom floor in the basement. I have put ant raid traps down and they do not seem to be going away. How long should it take to clear out my bathroom. And why are they hanging out in a bathroom where there is no food?

Ants everywhere [ 11 Answers ]

Does anyone know a great way to get rid of ants? I have little bity ants... on my house, on my car, IN my car, in my shower, etc. They have little "holes" or tunnels in my back yard too. I have tried "Triazaphene" (sp?) but it is not working. HELP

Home made recipes grasshopper & ants [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for recipes I can make at home to kill both grass hoppers and ants.

Ants in my home [ 6 Answers ]

Dose anyone have a good home remedy to get rid of ants, something that's safe for kids to be around?

View more questions Search